Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 GTO getting started

videocast

I had the 1 to 1 back in the day with 389 tri power hurst 4 speed and cheater slicks on the rear. I will try to duplicate the real one with this kit. will be midnight blue exterior and lighter blue interior. the kit even has the decals for the white racing stripes down the sides. I don't think they are called racing stripes. the word escapes me. maybe someone can remind me ..so far this looks to be pretty detailed kit. I hope to do It justice  thanks for looking..

DSC_2390.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

body painted. pictures not the best, but pretty good representation. I used Tamiya royal blue acrylic thinned with 70% IPA with a neo /Iwata air brush. Im still trying to get the hang of the dual action AB as coordination is quite necessary for success. let me know if you can see where improvement is needed or helpful. might be hard to do as I see defects on film from lighting and reflections. btw, this color is so close to the color of my 1:1 back in the day I'm really amazed with that.  One more thing. can anyone recommend a high gloss clear coat to finish it off with. thanks...

DSC_2391.JPG

DSC_2392.JPG

DSC_2393.JPG

DSC_2394.JPG

DSC_2395.JPG

17 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Nice color and a great start. Color looks amazingly close to the Testors Arctic Blue Metallic enamel from the can that I used for my Revell "67 Chevelle.

when I was searching paint colors I saw the arctic blue and it was one of my possible picks. I am a fan of the 67-69 chevelles. especially the 69. when I had the real 66 gto , I got beat in a street race by a 69 Chevelle 396 ss 4 speed with isky race cam and some other goodies the guy neglected to tell me. It was a beautiful machine!!

mine was stock with the 3 deuces only.

50 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

You thinned it with an IPA?

I think a lager or pale ale would work better.

Looks good-nice color.

That's a line I refuse to cross. drinking alcohol should never be wasted on a hunk of plastic my friend...lmao...

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is the best work I've done on an engine. went ahead and bought the wires from the show in Orlando at Ace Café . I took a little more time with it. parts are so small in some cases I have a little trouble finding them on the floor. anyway, it's the 389 ci tri power that was standard I think in 66. I know they went to a 400 in 67 and up. maybe the tri power was an option. I plan on putting some hoses also when I get to that point in the build. anyway, so far so good. progress is slow, but so am I. thanks for all the comments. I do appreciate it. 

DSC_2400.JPG

DSC_2401.JPG

2 hours ago, blunc said:

the tri-power carbs may be on backwards (if it matters to you)

amazing you could spot that from my pics. I could not see from the revell manuall which way was correct, and from my memory of 48 years ago when I owned the 1:1 the bowls seemed to be in the rear. anyway I appreciate the observation, but I think it would be more trouble to reverse them at this point. I would make a mess...lol

14 hours ago, videocast said:

amazing you could spot that from my pics. I could not see from the revell manuall which way was correct, and from my memory of 48 years ago when I owned the 1:1 the bowls seemed to be in the rear. anyway I appreciate the observation, but I think it would be more trouble to reverse them at this point. I would make a mess...lol

I may be one of the few that would spot it  :-)

I have direct experience with the Rochester 2-bbl carbs on the Tri-Power manifold and most other GM vehicles that have factory installed Rochester carbs.

In my experience, the fuel bowl (square boxy part of the carb) faces forward.

Your engine looks great anyway, no need to change something that most people would not see.