Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resurrection of an Edsel

ewetwo

I bought this at an estate sale and it literally fell apart every time I touched it. Either it was a bad build or I have the touch of death. Lol. Hopefully its a bad build but mine are not the best. It was weird as the parts that dangled on for dear life were held by some sort of stretchy glue of which I do no know. But thanks to numerous wonderful forum members. I will start putting it back together. 

21FEC03E-DB5B-474E-9134-6E0BF4C01B94.jpeg

Builds into a nice replica - good luck reassembling it.   I am getting ready to sell mine off.  Mine is yellow and brown - about the most 50's paint scheme that would really make it look like the 50s dog the public thought it was.  lol

But, built up in this scheme should look really nice.  I have more respect for them now than when I built it originally.  MCG makes a nice PE set for it as well.

Consider the fact that the model seems to disassemble it's self consider your self lucky. Most of these usually are held together with so much glue you have to destroy the body getting it apart. This should make your cleanup and anything else you have in mind for it very easy. The paint even looks like it will come back with some polishing.   

What is MCG and PE set?  This is one of those repainted ProShop kits. I already have one but when I saw this at an estate sale. I had to save it. And it did literally fall apart as I walled with it. LOL. I was lucky with the glue but still wonder what they used. Would Testors kid glue do that? 

Edited by ewetwo

15 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I was luck with the glue but still wonder what they used. Would Testors kid glue do that? 

"Stretchy" glue sounds like the stuff shown below, Elmer's Craft Bond Metal & Plastic Cement.  Found a kit at a flea market a few weeks ago and it had a tube of this glue in the box. Only a few parts had been glued but it was just like you described: I could pull the glued bits apart easily and the glue stretched.  At least it didn't "craze" and melt the plastic like regular old tube glue.

A quick internet search didn't turn up any mention of this specific glue, so maybe Elmer's doesn't make it any more.  I just snapped a quick pic of it.

MCG/PE is the Model Car Garage Photo-Etched Metal set for this kit.  Here's a link to their Ford page, the Edsel set is at the bottom:

https://www.modelcargarage.com/eshop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=21

goo.JPG

Edited by Mike999
error2

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Hey Mike. Might be the glue. Is it kid safe? That could be the reason why.  

That Elmer's Craft Bond is definitely not kid safe.  The back of the tube says "Keep Out of Reach of Children."  Plus all the usual warnings about not swallowing it. And it's flammable!