Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70.5 Baldwin Motion Camaro

THORDOOR220

On 12/11/2018 at 11:43 AM, Jantrix said:

Very impressive so far. Looking forward to more.

Thanks

Got the fuel lines on the injector hat done. Not much, but it’s something.

Edit: found a little more time and got some more motor work done. Looking good I think. Need to touch up the butterflies though, trying to get those looking right is tough.

659753DA-2F17-465A-BF71-B10129A412D2.jpeg

15475758-012F-458E-BCC6-CAD14AB43275.jpeg

Edited by THORDOOR220

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas guys!

Finished up the front suspension this morning. Needs finishing work to look good yet, obviously enough, but it’s actually all fabricated at this point. Still needs steering...but I have an idea for that. The motor is crooked in the pictures, I have yet to make motor mounts is why. It’s just kinda chillin in there. Also made the cage (just a small 6 point, I might add a couple bars yet to make it more like the 8 point in my foxbody). Made the other door jamb last week. More progress to come

DBF95BBC-5150-4B54-AA41-8A1180BE8F76.jpeg

3355EDA6-FBB5-4F8F-B74C-FE89A0EC0D42.jpeg

On 12/31/2018 at 4:52 PM, Plastic_Passion said:

My camaro I did suspension in. Front and rear.

20170118_220643.jpg

20170118_213751.jpg

20171016_201708.jpg

That looks fantastic. Your suspension was working? How’d you get it? I wanted to use the factory stuff, but couldn’t make it work, hence the tubular stuff.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:56 PM, Plastic_Passion said:

My '70 inspiration 

this-1970-camaro-is-one-mean-green-street-machine.jpg

What’s your plan for the hood, or are you going a different route? Looks like it’ll be a fun build.

I’ve made a little progress, mainly just got one door hinged (almost done with the second). I’ll probably get around to that sometime this weekend, and I’ll get some pictures up of whatever I get done.

@THORDOOR220 it actually took me a bit of planning and a lot of trial and error. This kit is revell's motor works 85 z28 kit. And to be honest it's kinda a garbage kit out of the box. This is one of my adolescents survivors. I love the kit for the body and interior however it's like a step above a snap tire. The suspension however was pretty ok to work with. I didnt pin mine like you have. I really wanted to because this is so kitbashed that it would've been perfect however the rear control arms are too thin to pin. So to remedy this I used transmission governor springs that I cut to size. This kit has posts in the front that connect the front a arms to the engine bay(which is a seperate part from the body) so I cut the posts out and figured out my ride height and how much travel I wanted and super glued the springs in. Then for the rear, it was basically the same business as usual. However instead of shocks in the rear there were 2 posts that contacted the inside of the chassis. So I cut those off and glued my springs in and the axle to the springs. Then used a kind of rubber cement but not really. It has great hold but will allow flex. Since I only have stress up and down and in low motion its held up great so far.

As for the '70.... well I've been getting some little things here and there. I have white faced gauges, the "tall" wrap around wing, and a p.e. kit for it so far. I will grab another hood other than the box stock and plan on maybe a Baldwin hood too. For that I'll drill a hole then file with a small bastard file till I get the shape of the opening(s) then I'll either use some shim stock from work(I'm a machinist) to use for good structure but easily persuaded. More trial and error. Probably a tube of contour putty to "bondo" it to a seamless finish.

1 hour ago, Plastic_Passion said:

Thanks man! I'll certainly post it. I have been on a short hiatus this year as I've made a few life changes. Bought a condo, a dog, and a new truck.... go big or go home right??? Lol but yeah I'll be hopping back in shortly.

I definitely feel that, I’ve gone through a couple new cars and I’m looking at a career change. Modeling is all that’s keeping me sane!

I ended up spending the day helping my dad make a Carson top for his 1:1 ‘51 Chevy, so I didn’t even end up getting the other door hinged (though it’s most of the way there). Here’s the drivers door anyways. It doesn’t like to stay shut, but I think that having the body of the door done will help with that. I’m done working 12 hour days now, too, so I should have a little more time for modeling shortly.

FD85951E-429E-4F6B-AEE3-B10E6436829E.jpeg

So before, when I made the door jambs, I made those white pieces that match the interior tub towards the front. You’ll see what I’m talking about in the pictures. This is where hinges on the actual car would be. So I put a small piece of tubing there, which had to be angled since the piece it’s glued to is angled. That’s kind of difficult to explain, but without doing so, the doors opened more downward. I used a paper clip for the rod, and then the same tubing as before for where the door is attached to it. Of course I thinned out the edges of the door, and front of the door opening, before attaching it. Takes a bit of trial and error to get everything lined up right, but the results are, in my opinion, better than traditional methods. You could do the same thing just attaching to the interior tub if you wanted to, but I decided to have it just on the body itself. I found that it made it easier to work with. Hopefully that’s easy(ish) to follow

F541D5BF-7958-4594-82CD-7F43EF61975D.jpeg

D0589D3A-C4B0-444B-8177-84969F3F4471.jpeg

99090571-FAD0-42D9-9A58-7A1C7B9A32E0.jpeg

I had to cut them to get the doors off. I’m thinking of finding a way to attach them to the same part where the door is hinged at, like the actual car, but that gives some clearance issues with the windshield. I’m going to have to make some modifications to the windshield (or make a new one) anyways, so we’ll see what I come up with. I’m wanting to do all the a pillar interior pieces and everything too, so I’ll find some way to make it look good.

I've always wanted to pillar a car. My personal advice would be to use tamiya putty or something like that. Contour putty... that way you can... contour <---- ?‍♂️? it the way you want vs having to shave/sand the styrene. I have upholstered more of my interiors than not and have found a neat cheap trick. I didnt think  of the trick so I wont take credit. I'll also post that for you if you'd like. It's time consuming but looks good. As for connecting the pillars, just take your time. I'd reccomend plastiweld or something. Could always use gel type super glue and build it up to the pillar to connect it. That way you don't have extra material you dont need for the clearance issue, and it'll provide solid structure/reinforcement for the roof. Again just a few suggestions. I do love the door idea tho. Gonna have to give it a go. I have a 67 z28 I'm am scribing out the doors on. 

You know, I hadn’t considered using putty for those. I think I might, thanks for that. And I’d like to know your (or whoever’s) trick to the upholstery too, I’ve always wanted to make that look more realistic. My impala turned out okay in there, but that’s the only car I’ve had where the interior looked right. I might use the gel glue idea, too, it would be far easier than building up styrene. Those pictures should also be helpful...I’m glad you liked the door idea. It wasn’t entirely mine either, I saw something similar on a ‘69 mustang. He did it straight onto the interior tub though, and a little bit differently. I’m hoping mine ends up looking a little better than his did.

I've relearned a thing or 2 about testors contour putty that I didnt know when I was younger. My girlfriend accidentally turned my 300zx into a convertible that a 18 y/o would drive. So I had to make a body kit for it and bring it back to life. Since nobody makes a body kit for it.... I dug out the ole putty and got to work. The first side I did although theres much more to be done... leaves something to be desired. Once I figured it out the other side came out much better. I think if you have patience it's perfect for the interior. 

20171207_201948.jpg

20171207_201411.jpg