Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buying a compressor

16 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Lots of information scattered about in WizPorsche944 thread on air brushes.

Buy maybe a thread dedicated to buying a compressor could be in order.

I have an opportunity to get a Badger AS180-12.

So, here we go. What's HOT? What's NOT ?:P

Really? We want to have this conversation again

Here's the latest thread on the subject, just three days old. I'm sure Casey can and will post many more: 

Hobby Lobby has compressors, and with their 40% off coupon, makes them real affordable. If you are using one inside the house, you will want one that is a bit more quieter (meaning more expensive). A pancake compressor is not quiet, but it has more uses than a regular air brush compressor.

Really comes down to budget and if it will be used for something other than powering an airbrush.

My first air brush compressor was one of those Badger little blue ones and I hated it. It was extremely noisy, vibrated around off tables, or around the floor and it pretty much made me hurry through paint projects so I could turn off the terrible noise. I now have a silent air compressor. I can barely tell it is on, works great and I can paint in my little painting room for hours on end. I can listen to the radio or just enjoy the silence. I would recommend the one I have except I can no longer find it. I bought it from Amazon in 2015.

I also have a large compressor with a tank that is outside in my garage, I can use it in a pinch but I broke the cover off the motor and it hit the cooling fan blades and broke them all off. So, I don't run it any longer than to fill car tires occasionally. A good tank compressor is nice because it only comes on when the tank needs to be pressurized to your settings. Most are noisy, so if you can be away from them, it's noise can be tolerable.

I recommend a good silent compressor but I see many are called "quiet" but without actually using them, it is hard to tell how quiet they are. Good luck in your quest.

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Another benefit of a tank it that it smooths out the airflow.  Without it, it comes in pulses.  This is mostly a big deal if you're trying to do anything fancy with your airbrush.

Absolutely. A tank is a must.