Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 or 1972 El Camino

JImmy Flintstone makes a resin '72 body--or used to, at any rate. I have one. It's typical Flintstone--thick and problematic around the window edges, which is the main reason I haven't built it yet. It does come with a chassis based on the AMT '69. (No, mine isn't for sale or trade--I plan to build it someday.) 

One possible problem with it is it requires a donor AMT '72 Chevelle kit for grille and front bumper. That kit's getting a bit hard to find. The current or most recent reissue is based on the old MPC body and the grille's not the same (and not very good) and I don't know if it will fit the Flintstone body or not. 

So if you have or can acquire a glue bomb AMT '72 Chevelle for an organ donor, that's one way to go. 

Edited by Snake45

What kind of problem will I run into if I transplant the front doghouse of this 72 Chevelle on to a current issue  1968 El Camino ( my preference if it is feasible )

Reason I ask, is a potential client is asking me to build a replica of his 1/1 car. and he has a resin body ( not my favorite route, especially if its a Flinstone body )

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

What kind of problem will I run into if I transplant the front doghouse of this 72 Chevelle on to a current issue  1968 El Camino ( my preference if it is feasible )

Reason I ask, is a potential client is asking me to build a replica of his 1/1 car. and he has a resin body ( not my favorite route, especially if its a Flinstone body )

I suspect that the current '68 Elky is wider than the old '72 Chevelle. You might be able to make it work, but you might have some scratchbuilding to do. 

In other topics about elcamino conversions, some folks have just grafted the headlamp area onto the body, then added to or removed material to the hood sides to fit. Not sure if this helps out or not, but I too have several ideas for elco conversions.

Edited by tbill

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, Snake45 said:

One possible problem with it is it requires a donor AMT '72 Chevelle kit for grille and front bumper. That kit's getting a bit hard to find. The current or most recent reissue is based on the old MPC body and the grille's not the same (and not very good) and I don't know if it will fit the Flintstone body or not. 

The last '72 reissue has a built MPC kit on the box, but the AMT kit is inside.  But the grille/bumper aren't very good.  When Ertl backdated the kit to '70 spec, apparently they tossed the original tooling for the bumpers.  The "new" '72 has newly tooled pieces that are terrible.  So you'd want to find a '72 kit that was made before the backdate job.  An MPC kit might work too, but all of the reissues have bug-eyed headlamps, because the original detail was ground away for a NASCAR issue, then re-engraved back to stock after that.