Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gauging interest - 50 Years of Mach 1 CBP

Hotrod 97

On 11/9/2019 at 1:48 AM, Hotrod 97 said:

Here's where I'm at so far. I decided to completely redo the interior (this time using decals for the woodgrain instead of painting it), so I stripped the paint off and got it back in primer. The engine is complete and sitting in the chassis. I'll be able to start applying decals to the hood and body once the gloss black paint on the hood cures.

It's slowly but surely getting closer to being finished. I hope to have it done by Thanksgiving, which is the 28th of this month.

20191108_225328.jpg

20191108_225507.jpg

20191108_225350.jpg

20191108_230842.jpg

20191108_225649.jpg

Tyler, I love that color on the body!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

made some progress over the last few days. What i did was scrape off as much of the paint that was left on the interior( after soaking in brake fluid) and repainted with bottle and brush. Also added BMF to the body trim.

What I'm planning is to finish completely before posting pictures.

Roy

Oh BTW, Rex I found that my Mach body does not have the locating holes for the twist down hood pins.

Edited by madhorseman

On 12/15/2019 at 5:08 PM, madhorseman said:

Finished shots:

DSC00512-vi.jpg

On 12/15/2019 at 5:35 PM, vamach1 said:

Here's the Testors kit in yellow (box stock) next to the same kit I converted to a 73 Japanese police car earlier this year.

IMG_6459.JPG

Awesome builds, guys! I had to take some time away from the workbench before I got the ‘69 Mach 1 done, but I’ll definitely have it done before Christmas.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:32 PM, vamach1 said:

I built that one a long time ago but it ended up breaking apart and it had a bad paint job so I bought another one for about $100 which of course is still in the box.  Painting something that large can be a challenge.  When I build it I might even consider taking it to an autobody shop.

IMG_3789.JPG

When I was younger I used to use a miniature "detail" HVLP spray gun that we used for spot jobs and bumpers and what not on 1:1.... they work great for larger models (we did RC). I think mine has a 4oz capacity cup, and that's more than enough for a 1/12 car.

I've also done 2 regular 1/25 models with a full size HVLP using base/clear turned out pretty great results... still my best paintjob on a model car and that was years ago. The model itself looks like it was built by a kid (it was) but the paint looks professional....

• 2 months later...

On 9/10/2019 at 12:44 AM, Hotrod 97 said:

Here's what I got so far. The dash needs decals yet, and the interior is only half detailed (the other door panel isn't detailed yet). I coated the seats with Pledge Revive It to give them more of a "leather" look. I had the engine painted but wasn't quite satisfied with how it turned out, so I stripped the paint off and re-primed it. I plan to get the body and the rest of the engine parts in primer tomorrow.

20190910_013423.thumb.jpg.af6b9432d6b860b8d6148b4fc8b3e9f8.jpg20190910_013348.thumb.jpg.a5a695a404e00a18978c1ddc80153565.jpg20190910_013434.thumb.jpg.19141cd1ed8acbce2c3dbaff808f7131.jpg20190910_013454.thumb.jpg.fc2427347d137737c96ba866796800cc.jpg

Hey Tyler,

have You had time to finished your Mach 1 yet?

Edited by madhorseman

39 minutes ago, madhorseman said:

Hey Tyler,

have You had time to finished your Mach 1 yet?

Roy,

I have made significant progress since my last update, but, due to me taking some time away from the bench to sort some things out, I don’t have it under glass just yet. But, now that I’m able to get back to building, I should have another update up soon - probably even tonight. The Mach 1 should be under glass by Thursday.

My greatest apologies to all involved in this community build project. I had every intention to finish my participating build on time, but was unfortunately unable to due to another part of my life getting in the way. It appears that all the other participants got their builds finished on time, and they look amazing. If I organize or participate in another CBP, I will get my build done in a timely fashion.

1 hour ago, Hotrod 97 said:

Roy,

I have made significant progress since my last update, but, due to me taking some time away from the bench to sort some things out, I don’t have it under glass just yet. But, now that I’m able to get back to building, I should have another update up soon - probably even tonight. The Mach 1 should be under glass by Thursday.

My greatest apologies to all involved in this community build project. I had every intention to finish my participating build on time, but was unfortunately unable to due to another part of my life getting in the way. It appears that all the other participants got their builds finished on time, and they look amazing. If I organize or participate in another CBP, I will get my build done in a timely fashion.

No need to opologize - life happens.

3 hours ago, Hotrod 97 said:

Roy,

Hey Tyler,  No worries my good man. Believe me I understand very well how life is. As You might remember I was falling behind because of "life" too. And I chose a simpler build for just that reason.

Plus, I couldn't wait to see it finished

• 2 weeks later...