Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 53 Ford Victoria custom question

How would do you modify the chassis of Lindberg's 53 Ford Vicky to accept wider wheels?, such as AMT's Custom 15" Polyglas or Wide Ovals. The chassis wheel wells are too narrow, especially the rear. I presume some cutting or grinding of the wells will be necessary, but what about the frame which is molded as part of the chassis?

Thank you

Wm David Green

The kit is correct in that respect; the actual car is difficult to fit wide tires to, and it's tough to change tires on one if wide tires are fitted or if the car is lowered.  You'll end up with either radiused wheel openings, or with the rear frame rails moved in and new inner wheel wells fitted.

You might be able to sand away a very small portion of the inner wheel housing and maybe even relocate the rear leaf springs inboard  a little. The body could be sanded some on the inside also. But without major work the best you could hope for would be the equivalent of a 70 series tire. I would use the kit's wheel backs and build your tire from there. A thought if you have an old AMT '57 Chrysler 300c kit. This kit has slightly larger wide whites and could pass for a 9.00x14 or a 8.20x15 tire. At any rate it is slightly wider than the '53's tires and larger diameter. This may give you the look your after without getting into any major work on the chassis.   

I have a similar thing happening with an AMT 49 Ford. Just not quite enough room for the two tire options I have. I'm moving the frame rails and taking a little section out of each axle tube as well and moving the springs in on the tubes. Hey it's only plastic it cuts and sands easy enough ! I also think I'm going to lengthen each wheel well opening a little bit. Good luck with your 53 what ever you do !

3 hours ago, Wm David Green said:

Many thanks for the replies, some sound ideas to go with.

Wm D Green

Sometimes it's enough to cut away the inner fender wells back to the frame rails and even narrow the thickness of the rails a little bit. Trim up the inner wells and mount them on top of the frame. That might work on your 53.............. I'm putting slicks on my 49 build, so the tire diameter is also off to fit in the existing wells, so I will make new ones. In your case I doubt diameter will be an issue. Just some thoughts to look into though.

16 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Sometimes it's enough to cut away the inner fender wells back to the frame rails and even narrow the thickness of the rails a little bit. Trim up the inner wells and mount them on top of the frame. That might work on your 53.............. I'm putting slicks on my 49 build, so the tire diameter is also off to fit in the existing wells, so I will make new ones. In your case I doubt diameter will be an issue. Just some thoughts to look into though.

Dave G.

Think you are spot on with this advice, problem solved !

If I need to cut away any plastic from the outer part of frame I'll simply add the equivalent thickness to the inner part with plastic card.

Having looked at other contributor's custom builds on other MCM forums, I am now even more inspired. 

Thank you

Wm D Green