Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOT-WIRE cutter

I have been using this hot-wire lately, for cutting up body and miscellaneous parts quickly, instead of using a saw or knife.  It's original purpose is to cut styrofoam insulation, for doing railroad layouts landscaping.  Most of the time, I freehand the cut, going beyond the final line and then filing/sanding down to final shape.  In the case of stretching the body, I went along a steel ruler to get a straight line.  Sometimes, if the final result is sort of hidden, I keep some of the jagged edge, to give bite for the superglue.  I also make styrofoam cutouts to keep a finished model secure in the box.

IMG_0405_Fotor.thumb.jpg.02c9a30db4333bd4ffc1adcee8c6bba6.jpg

IMG_0406_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1c999f7adbce763184a5b5faec21648a.jpgIMG_0124_Fotor.thumb.jpg.feb297f69ef0685d7f7c49a71ec90d5a.jpg

IMG_0126_Fotor.thumb.jpg.84c4668c4e7f5e6827b18b06c2e56ed4.jpg

IMG_0158_Fotor.thumb.jpg.490ab75511024377ce09bfa62c0af5fc.jpg

Sure beats sawing!  You could cut out doors, but the wire could melt the window frame.

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Looks like a great way to cut out body parts (like you show), but how do you make sure to follow the door contour when you free-hand cut  the door or hood/trunk opening?  That seems a bit risky.

There is some resistance when cutting, need to saw back and forth, it does not cut like butter.  The wire does tend to follow groove lines pretty well.  Any gap can be fixed with superglue and baking soda.  I rest both arms on the bench, now that you ask, I have to think about it.  LOL  I'm right handed, the left wrist, closest to the part, on the bench like a vice, right forearm on the bench.  It sounds dicey, just don't drink lots of coffee first.