Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

Thanks Trevor.

Since I'm not using the magneto (I'll make a distributor) I have to add an alternator.  I designed a proper Delco-Remy alternator in SolidWorks and it will be printed by Fraxional. 

To make it look more realistic I made it in four main pieces.  I'll machine the pulley later as well as the other hardware and electrical connectors.

KsYDbR1.jpg

ZgyR0Y4.jpg

9Iu9xxc.jpg

yaYw4h1.jpg

Id9TdZX.jpg

PloQ99G.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, Scale-Master said:

Thanks Trevor.

Since I'm not using the magneto (I'll make a distributor) I have to add an alternator.  I designed a proper Delco-Remy alternator in SolidWorks and it will be printed by Fraxional. 

To make it look more realistic I made it in four main pieces.  I'll machine the pulley later as well as the other hardware and electrical connectors.

KsYDbR1.jpg

ZgyR0Y4.jpg

9Iu9xxc.jpg

yaYw4h1.jpg

Id9TdZX.jpg

PloQ99G.jpg

That looks like a SI alternator Mark, wouldn't a car of that era have an external regulator?

Once I mocked up the heads with the headers on the engine in its final orientation due to the motor mounts I could see the headers should have a little more clearance around the rear shock upper mounting points.  They fit, but I wouldn't want the heat from them on a real car.

I used a metal wedge and a hair dryer to bend the pipes.

I had to replace the header flanges too, luckily Fraxional provided me with a second set before I decided to make this change. 

I also had to lengthen the inboard pipes on both headers with some Plastruct tubing.

2UebXfH.jpg

qLYlHQn.jpg

JaTs4uB.jpg

Mark, I suppose you are sick and tired of answering questions about the magnets, but I will ask anyway.  How do you locate them on the model?  Do you set the part and drill through both parts and then fill the hole or what.  I just bought a bunch of 1mm and 3mm and would like to use the heck out of them.  Thanks!

The start of the aluminum rims.  Some T6-6061 stock and a wooden angle block with 22 and 27 degree angles cut into it.  The block was indexed to the tilt-table as a secondary measure to ensure the angles were uniform on all the wheels.

5dySMsy.jpg

First round of cutting; this will be a rear.

zhLEUtX.jpg