Model Cars Magazine Forum

Softening up rubber tires

I am working on an 1/18 scale Nascar model, and have been able to remove the tires from the plastic rims (which are still attached to the rear axle), and now I need to return the tires to the wheels.

The tires are way too stiff to work on over the wheels (easier to remove than to replace), and I am looking for advice on methods to soften up the rubber.

I have tried hot tap water (my water heater is set to 150 F) but that didn't soften them up enough.

Anyone know how hot you can heat scale rubber tires?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

I have heated tires by placing them in a cup of water, and then microwaving them.

Assuming we have similar microwaves, what settings do you use?  Such as, do you take them up to a boil?

I was hoping someone else had done this before I ruined some of my wife's dishes.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, ibj40 said:

Assuming we have similar microwaves, what settings do you use?  Such as, do you take them up to a boil?

I was hoping someone else had done this before I ruined some of my wife's dishes.

Thanks!

A Pyrex measuring cup will take boiling in the microwave well.