Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting Corvair.

Other than those fender skirts, that is a very nice and clean Corvair! I'm waaay familiar with those as it seems I was surrounded by them as a kid. I had an Uncle that loved them to death as he still owned one till he died about 10 years ago, and I can remember riding in one many times with different family/friends when I was a kid in the '60's/'70's.

A surviving Turbo Corvair is unusual and this one still looks very nice. The fender skirts are one of those things that depend on who is looking at them. Some cars look alright with them, and some cars were designed to where they didn't look right without them because of the shape of the wheel well opening. Beyond that it just depends on who is looking at them.   

I owned a '65 Corvair Corsa with the 140 h.p. with the 4 carbs which I modified, 4-speed trans, and posi, and it was a lot of fun for me. Fast and handled well. I raced it at the drag strips, on the streets, and did a gym kana also. Had a custom paint job done on it and displayed it at a large indoor car show as well. FUN times.

On 7/4/2019 at 10:14 AM, espo said:

Some cars look alright with them, and some cars were designed to where they didn't look right without them because of the shape of the wheel well opening.

A 1955-'57 T-Bird comes to mind in regards to fender skirts. To me they always looked better WITH them on than without. Without them, they appear 'naked' to me. :huh:

Pictured car appears as a 1961 Monza - dash/glovebox trim, taillights, front fender emblems, and wheel covers are all 1961.  Turbo was not available until April 1962 with the Spyder option. Hope it's a real turbo engine as bolting the turbo onto a base engine is not a good idea as all engine internals were beefed up for the increased load. The turbo cars aren't all that rare there are still plenty around. The 1965 and later 4 carb 140hp engine is actually more fun.

I'm also not a fan of the fender skirts on these cars especially the 2 doors. Like them on some larger full size 50's - 60's cars but very few cars look good to me with them.

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

A 1955-'57 T-Bird comes to mind in regards to fender skirts. To me they always looked better WITH them on than without. Without them, they appear 'naked' to me. :huh:

This is a very good example of a car in the edge of the two styles. I was fortunate enough to own a '57 T-Bird when it was still considered just another old used car. In the early '60's mine had no fender skirts and that was fine for me. This gave me more clearance for the "Pie Crust Slicks" I was using. There were some GM cars like the mid '50's Oldsmobile and Cadillacs that had rear fenders cut in such a way they had to have skirts. My personal preference has always been toward open wheel wells, but I realize many others prefer skirts and that's fine.