Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I do the tracks?

I want to build a Bombardier B12 snowmobile. I have enough info, photos measurements etc to scratch one up. the only problem is the tracks. There are about 150 cleats between the two of them I am looking for suggestions on how to reproduce them. Crimping aluminum channels in a die would work but it might take me several years. I wonder about 3D printing. Should I get the cleats printed in rows on a sprue or get the whole track assembly printed?

B12 (2).jpg

B12 vue côté et avant.jpg

3D print cleats attached to sprue at each end with a connecting gate ladder style.  The rubber bands can be printed in a flexible material with the inner strap detail.  Glue the bands to the ladder and cut free from the cleats when glue set.  Ladders can be in maybe groups of 10 or 20 cleats.

Do you have access to the actual machine??  Would like to have a rubbing of the Firestone diamond treads.

5 hours ago, Flat32 said:

3D print cleats attached to sprue at each end with a connecting gate ladder style.  The rubber bands can be printed in a flexible material with the inner strap detail.  Glue the bands to the ladder and cut free from the cleats when glue set.  Ladders can be in maybe groups of 10 or 20 cleats.

Do you have access to the actual machine??  Would like to have a rubbing of the Firestone diamond treads.

I was wondering whether 3D printing was feasible. Somehow I had visions of the whole thing (track, wheels) in one piece.

I'm not sure of what you mean by rubbing ? And no, I don't have access to an actual machine. At least I haven't checked.

3D printing requires a CAD file in stl format. If you have a file of the whole assembly it could be printed as such.  

Cad file creation requires dimensions reasonably defining every desired detail.

A rubbing is simply placing a sheet of paper on the tread and rubbing the paper with a dirty hand to get an impression of the tread pattern.  

I have quite a few dimensions. I'm not sure if they are detailed enough. the only dimension I can't find is the sprocket. It could be extrapolated from the rest. I suppose the wheel spacing could be as well. Here's what I have. The diameter of a 4.50-16 tire is 26.20".5d3f6dcaddb56_B12(1).jpg.bec5a8335a872ca3784322fc28e83b6b.jpg

B12 (2).jpg

B12 Specs.jpg

As Ray suggested, looking at armor models/accessories might yield something. These are Masterclub MC135003CL 1./35 scale resin track links for a Sd.kfz. 184 Elefant tank destroyer

image.png.a731db209b02639965be7c1c6dcd32b9.pngimage.png.94342c871f8d76a6e131ee1f5414dbb5.png

Comparing them to the B-12CS tracks,

image.png.5f7647204249e76b4d7d84bf183e7053.png

the Masterclub tracks are somewhat similar in appearance. Might be worth considering.

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2019 at 7:13 PM, Flat32 said:

Scroll down this page.

http://www.wadenasteel.ca/dashboard/forum/index.php?topic=42.0

Pitch of the track cleats is important dimension not known, but should be easy to find.  There is reference to a museum in the linked forum page.

That is where I got my photos, from that same lady whose name and address are shown. I'm looking for a 1:1 to get some measurements.

What an interesting project you are taking on there, Pat........ would this Bombardier company have anything to do with the Bombardier company in Derby, England that carries out rail engineering and aluminium car body manufacture? Just curious because the company is only 17 miles from where I live.

Here is a link for you: https://uk.bombardier.com/en/about-us/bombardier-in-country/sites/site.transportation-derby.html

David

8 hours ago, Flat32 said:

Ask if they have a loose cleat kicking around that you could acquire. Outside diameter of the sprockets.  Outside diameter of the tires, brand and side marked size.

The pamphlet says 4.50 X16. I looked up the diameter and 26.20" would be about right. The ones in the picture look like GoodYear diamond tread. The guy in Montreal has some smooth ones too.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:27 AM, Flat32 said:

I have three behind a mountain of flower pots. I'd have to dig them out. Can't do that for a while on account of cataract surgery. 

IMG_9476.JPG

IMG_9477.JPG