Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 1 year later...

I had been looking for the old Monogram kit for a long time. They were all over $100, more than I wanted to pay.

Then the new Revell kit hit the shelves and the bottom fell out of the Monogram kit market.. I bought a mint in box example for $35.  So I have both kits, which represent different vehicles anyway. 

12 hours ago, badcaditude said:

Maybe Revell/Monogram, or Round2 will realize... We should reissue these, and make some money. 

I just took a look at my Monogram kit.. copyright 1981 in Morton Grove.  Made in USA engraved on bottom of body.. I believe this is the last ( if not only) release.

So if the tool exists, it probably didn’t go to China. Wonder if Atlantis has it?

Edited by Tom Geiger

I got mine for $30 and I built it.  I was in the right place at the right time.  This kit was only released once and so the prices have gone up significantly for an old single issue kit.  With the issued Land Rover Series III LWB kit, I doubt Revell has any desire to reissue the old Monogram kit if they still have the molds or not.

4 hours ago, mrmike said:

I got mine for $30 and I built it.  I was in the right place at the right time.  This kit was only released once and so the prices have gone up significantly for an old single issue kit.  With the issued Land Rover Series III LWB kit, I doubt Revell has any desire to reissue the old Monogram kit if they still have the molds or not.

Once the new kit was out, I believe I got my older version for $30-40.  I still wanted it since it’s an older version and short wheelbase. 

It seems to be a blunder on the part of Monogram. I understand that it was released in USA and it didn’t sell well so they never reissued it.  Yea, US market for foreign SUVs wasn’t there in 1981.  But the appeal in the International market was always huge..  I don’t know what Monogram’s reach was back then but they should’ve been able to broker a deal with Airfix or Heller to tap that market. 

I was told at one point that the tool no longer exists, but it would be interesting if Atlantis has it.

Some trivia about the Monogram Land Rover that I saw long ago on an internet forum.  A poster said he was working at a garage in Burbank, CA when Monogram came to measure and photograph the Land Rover in their shop.  He said he had worked on the Rover, and it had a U.S. spec carburetor. He didn't provide any more details, but that might have been required by CA pollution standards.

Here's Chuck Most's excellent article, "The Sad and Sordid Tale of Monogram's Land Rover."

http://chuckmost.wixsite.com/madhouse-miniatures/single-post/2015/04/07/The-Sad-and-Sordid-tale-of-Monograms-Land-Rover#! 

19 hours ago, badcaditude said:

I (Almost) hate to give ideas away, but I wonder how cool would a Revell, or Italeri LR 109 look as a Ute? Full rear seat(s) with a small Pickup Truck Bed. 

I’ve been looking at that. I found some photos of a Landie long wheel base Ute that looks like it would work with the Revell kit. 

Okay, so this has now gotten off my build of a Land Rover Series III and onto Jeeps.  While there is a commonality here, this has turned into a thread of a different color.  Time for you guys to take this elsewhere and start a new thread.

2 hours ago, badcaditude said:

I thought I was just passing some helpful info a long, and trying to get a laugh. Like the jeep stuff, I was passing a cool Idea, and a Design. Isn't that what this Site is for? I have a better idea...  I'll stop asking questions, and Replying. Better yet... 'Nuff said.

This is a members build thread and as such, should be limited to questions or comments about the actual model being built. Please be respectful and do not clutter the thread with off topic discussions or photos.

We have various other areas of the board for general discussions and questions. You can even send message directly to other members if you wish.