Model Cars Magazine Forum

HELP lowering AMT 1965 500 ford galaxie

hello forum,

first time posting here i am building a AMT 65 ford galaxie 500 xl for a friend he would like me to keep model all stock but wants to know if i could build model lowered

I need help, tips, or info on how i can do this without loosing the integrity of the model, all help will be appreciated!

thank you all in advance!  

GEDC0001.JPG

Use the highest position on the front king pin parts to check how low the front end goes with the kit parts- test fit. If it isn't low enough, it shouldn't be too hard to scratch build some king pin replacements that allow the front to sit lower than it does out of the box.

For the rear axle, it comes with inserts to raise the rear springs (part #12) for stock height, and omitting these will lower the rear end- a pair of scratch built styrene lowering blocks mounted between the trailing arms (part #18) and the differential should get things down some in combination with trimming down the springs...you'll want to shorten the shocks too. If the control arms and driveshaft hit the floor pan with your chosen amount of lowering in the rear, notching the floor pan around the control arms and deepening the tunnel the driveshaft goes through with a round file will help.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2019 at 3:43 PM, gman said:

Use the highest position on the front king pin parts to check how low the front end goes with the kit parts- test fit. If it isn't low enough, it shouldn't be too hard to scratch build some king pin replacements that allow the front to sit lower than it does out of the box.

For the rear axle, it comes with inserts to raise the rear springs (part #12) for stock height, and omitting these will lower the rear end- a pair of scratch built styrene lowering blocks mounted between the trailing arms (part #18) and the differential should get things down some in combination with trimming down the springs...you'll want to shorten the shocks too. If the control arms and driveshaft hit the floor pan with your chosen amount of lowering in the rear, notching the floor pan around the control arms and deepening the tunnel the driveshaft goes through with a round file will help.

thanx gman I will give it some thought