Model Cars Magazine Forum

Work in progress Dan Gurney 1980 Riverside 500

yellowsportwagon

So this started as s Salvinos Baker Monte Carlo kit. I planned on modding the body a little and building it mostly out of the box. Well things changed quickly. I mocked up the kit chassis and said”I really don’t like the looks of this chassis.” So I looked at my old standby AMT TBird chassis. The way I usually stretch them didn’t look like an option. So I cut two in half in the middle and stretched it that way. Good thing I had a spare bare chassis laying around. 

AC2B82A3-42DE-49B3-994B-C6C7110E68F6.jpeg

99A76E2E-B12D-4D67-ABE7-3B3D2E5D26CA.jpeg

On to the body. This body never looked right to me. Most of its faults looked to be a sanding block away from correcting though. First is the side window area. I brought the door window opening up to be even with the opera window. Next I brought the back of the door window opening back to be even with the door crease. Leaving a swoop forward at the bottom like these cars had.

DAD785BF-78F8-4251-B070-5F67942190F3.jpeg

Now I added a strip of plastic to the bottom of the qtr behind the tire. I felt this area was too narrow top to bottom. Added a strip under the main body too. These cars had a small rocker panel that was missing on the Model. Also filled the fuel fill. Will be moved to the other side per road race car.

0DBD4C9A-7BE9-42CA-978C-3DDEC63DBFC0.jpeg

4C3AFDC6-51EC-403B-B73C-7B0D66291B18.jpeg

Next I puttied all that stuff up. Then I noticed the trunk was wrong for the car I’m doing. I had to fill the spoiler groove. I’ll have to make a spoiler. The kit spoiler wouldn’t  work with the decals that have to go on the back of the trunk. Also the trunk had no seam where the trunk and filler panel above the bumper would meet. So I corrected that and added a fuel over flow to the right taillight cover. The top groove is where I added plastic to cover the spoiler groove. It will be puttied tomorrow.

C6CC3F7A-3F00-44BB-AD97-5E9E9C09B462.jpeg

208E9EFA-5B58-4BED-91D4-9FCE27C7EB13.jpeg

4F825A10-835F-4775-852A-4ECEAA9AF7ED.jpeg

Tim, Its sad that you have to do so much work to make this model look right. One other thing that looks off to me are the taillights. They look like they stick out too far to the rear. Its probably just me. I'm sure you have this thing figured out and it will look  awesome when you are done.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Tim, Its sad that you have to do so much work to make this model look right. One other thing that looks off to me are the taillights. They look like they stick out too far to the rear. Its probably just me. I'm sure you have this thing figured out and it will look  awesome when you are done.

I agree but if I mess with them the bumper will not look right. I don’t think they are really all that bad. Believe it or not I don’t mind doing this kind of stuff. It’s kinda satisfying to look at it and say see I knew I could fix that.

Edited by yellowsportwagon

NICE work so far!!!! Unfortunately there have been MANY posts on modifying the Salvinos MC body. You are the first I have seen that added to the bottom of the body........I too saw an issue in the area but never thought of your fix!!!Your chassis choice also got rid of that giant trans hump. Don't get me wrong....I am glad we are getting kits like these......but what could have been!!  

19 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Looking good. Question?  Did James Hylton let Gurney drive his car for Riverside?  Curious about the back story on this.

Story I got is that it was an Oosterland team car. I’m not sure. 48 was Gurneys number . He ran that# in trans am too. You can see where there is adhesive residue left on the car from a 0 that was on it at one point.

6 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Story I got is that it was an Oosterland team car. I’m not sure. 48 was Gurneys number . He ran that# in trans am too. You can see where there is adhesive residue left on the car from a 0 that was on it at one point.

I went to Racing Reference and Hylton drove the #8 Chevy for that race only and then back to the 48 after that. I wonder if Gurney paid him to be able to use the 48 ?  Like I said I bet there is an interesting story behind it. Gurney drove for Osterland and James drove for Dickinson in the Riverside 500 so they weren't on the same team or anything like that. 

13 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

I went to Racing Reference and Hylton drove the #8 Chevy for that race only and then back to the 48 after that. I wonder if Gurney paid him to be able to use the 48 ?  Like I said I bet there is an interesting story behind it. Gurney drove for Osterland and James drove for Dickinson in the Riverside 500 so they weren't on the same team or anything like that. 

Dan came out of ten years retirement to run that race