Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tommy's Twelve in 2019

Tommy124

Thanks guys for your kind words, much appreciated! I especially like the fact that several people have their own "favorite" among my builds! So the overall quality appears to be OK. :rolleyes:

On 1/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, Bernard Kron said:

This really is exceptional work. You can recognize it when all the surfaces, textures, and details "scale" to the eye despite the merciless lens of close up photography. The Talladega with it's background diorama struck me particularly. All the best for 2020.

Thanks Bernard! I agree, the camera eye shows no mercy... The Talladega was a "hell" of a build in the worst possible sense. I initially painted the body in Royal Maroon with Gravity colors and 1k clear coat from Zero Paints. I basically like and get along well with their products, but the ZP 1k clear is C**P! So I had to strip the paint using my usual chemicals but the body did not take it well. Some parts practically broke out of the body which needed fixing. A lot of setbacks, but I pulled through and in the end I was okay with the result. 

On 1/2/2020 at 9:48 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

You always deliver in the cool department Thomas, and your work is beautiful!

I know that I'm always going to see some very nice, interesting stuff when your builds are revealed!

Love it all!!!!

I don't believe that I ever saw the Taladega before.

What a beauty!!

Steve

Thanks for this kind compliment, Steve! Knowing your abilities and your beautiful builds, it's nice to see that you enjoy looking at other people's builds, too!

On 1/5/2020 at 1:35 PM, Dann Tier said:

Definitely a GREAT year for you!!....beautiful builds!!...especially that Camaro!!!!

Thanks Dann! I learnt a lot on the Camaro build, this was my first real US car build! More to come!

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, bbowser said:

Great collection, you really have skills with paint work.  Thanks for sharing.

I have to agree with this while adding that it's not just that you have great paint skills, you also seem to have a talent for picking colors that really make these cars stand out.  Great collection!

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what paints did you use on the Talladega and the '71 Plymouth bodies?

13 hours ago, Monty said:

I have to agree with this while adding that it's not just that you have great paint skills, you also seem to have a talent for picking colors that really make these cars stand out.  Great collection!

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what paints did you use on the Talladega and the '71 Plymouth bodies?

Thanks for your kind feedback! I used low-budget automotive spray paint (Royal Blue, cleared with 1k clear coat) on the Talladega and Testors Plum Crazy Enamel paint (without clear) on the '71 Satellite.

On 4/9/2020 at 5:18 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Nice selection for sure, not sure how I missed it. Some of these look like they were taken late afternoon outside, was that natural lightning?

Thanks Mark. All these images have been made after finishing the builds, under various conditions. Some (like the Mustang) outside in the late afternoon outside, but most of them inside. On the inside, I either use the regular light on the workbench or (if I'm not too lazy to set it up) I use a simple "photo light box" that has a bulb emitting natural light.