Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bending wire for opening and closing dorrs.

I have trouble bending wire for the opening and closing doors. The videos I have seen the guy always has his fingers in the way. Especially the second bend. I really haven't seen a good tutorial in print.  Does anyone know of a jig that is used for bending the wires.

Mike

I know I have a tool in my shop someplace that electricians use for precision wire bending. You can hold it in your hand... it has a clamp with several notches in it and a degree graph to show the angle of the bend.

I used it to wire an instrument cluster in my Camaro and a boat for my father in law... makes for very tidy looking job.

Call an electrician supply store and inquire about this tool...

That or call your local phone company and ask to speak to who's in charge or installation... they would likely know as I got mine from a friend who retired from Bell south.. 

Just can't remember where I put the thing or what it's called!

A couple of years ago I needed a tool for bending some wire like you mentioned. I found my pliers at a JoAnns Fabric store in their Jewelry department. I think most any store that caters to jewelry making will have many small tools that come handy.