Model Cars Magazine Forum

Earthquake!

Well, it would seem that the world's seismic activity is "having the time of its life" these days, as my hometown, the Croatian capital Zagreb, was the epicentre of a 5.5 magnitude quake around 6:30 am this morning. It was followed by two major aftershocks about 30 minutes apart from each other, one a solid 5 and the final one about a 4 on the Richter scale. Right now, about 20 hours after the initial impact I can still hear the earth ominously grumbling and feel slight shudders every hour or so... So far there are, fortunately, no reports on casualties, but many homes have been damaged and cannot be lived in anymore, which is a bit of a problem to say the least since we, as much of the rest of the world, have been ordered strict quarantine at home. Luckily I live in a steel reinforced concrete building so I have my four walls to stay in and haven't sustained damage more significant than a few broken glasses and some knocked down table lamps and wall artworks, but I worry our system could become dangerously overstretched taking care of the many who do not, especially considering the already difficult situation with the virus outbreak thing. Petition to cancel 2020 and just move straight on to 2021, anyone? :P

Edited by PowerPlant

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Earthquake near Boise ID yesterday. The house felt as if it was being tossed around like a boat on the ocean.

This is the first time ever experiencing an earthquake, though the epicenter was nearly 80 miles from here it

was scary enough. 

IMG_1503.JPG.d2c020ca07fc30e55d402fa80708d795.JPG

I have been watching this activity on the USGS site. In the past it has been Porto Rico that seems to have them all day every day. The last two days your area in Idaho has out numbered them. A 6.5 is considered a major shake, but the constant  3+'s almost every 20 too 30 minuets and often more frequently then that are the ones that really get my attention. Any structures that are damaged during the large events are often compromised further by the many after shocks. 

5 hours ago, espo said:

I have been watching this activity on the USGS site. In the past it has been Porto Rico that seems to have them all day every day. The last two days your area in Idaho has out numbered them. A 6.5 is considered a major shake, but the constant  3+'s almost every 20 too 30 minuets and often more frequently then that are the ones that really get my attention. Any structures that are damaged during the large events are often compromised further by the many after shocks. 

Yah, the USGS map looks like a Christmas tree in our area, more than 80 quakes/aftershocks in the last 24hrs.

15 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Yah, the USGS map looks like a Christmas tree in our area, more than 80 quakes/aftershocks in the last 24hrs.

I looked again this morning. Seems like about every 30 minuets there is a upper 2 too a lower 3, except when it goes off a few times as close as 5 minuets to 10 minuets.  The reason I mentioned structural damage is that once a building is damaged every after shock increases the chances of further damage from the constant shaking.  I hope you and your family and friends are safe. This is a hard time to self isolate yourself if you don't have a safe place to do that. Stay safe and well. 

I grew up in So Cal 1960-1970. If you are old enough you remember that in 1968-69 we had a lot of small quakes.  It was a rough time as many 'experts' said it was leading up to the big one.  People were buying personal submarines as if CA was going to drop into the sea.....and somehow they could escape!!  But as a kid.....it messed with you.

And today when I visit So Cal I am always earthquake aware. My buddy, living in So Cal since 1959, will not stop at stoplights that are under overpasses,  tries to not get stuck in traffic on the tall fly overs......just stay out of areas that might be bad places in a big one. 

It's a different way of life.