Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is the Airfix/Craft Master 1:72 North American Harvard II, originally offered in 1965 (the kit was introduced in 1962). For its age, the kit is definitely workable, and builds up nicely. The decals are kit originals, and adhered well with Micro Set. 

The 1:1 aircraft, 2692, entered service with the RCAF in November 1940, and was based at four different airfields throughout its career, before being sold by Canadian Assets Disposal in January 1960.

The funny aspect of this kit is that it is unintentionally wrong! The aircraft is a Harvard II. The decal scheme is for a Harvard II. But this paint scheme never flew on that plane!!!

What happened?

North American Aviation kept track of aircraft production through what was known as ‘charge numbers’. For instance, the charge number for a Canadian Harvard II is NA-66, which helps to separate specifications between it and a Harvard I (NA-61). The same rule holds true today in air forces, where differences in planes are designated by ‘block numbers’ (F16C Block 50, for example). When the RAF and other Commenwealth countries acquired their planes direct from North American through Lend-Lease, the aircraft were not NA-66s, but were basically re-badged AT-6C Texans. There are a bunch of minor mechanical differences, but the main visual difference is the rear fixed canopy. If it is fairly small and looks like the kit, it’s a Texan. If the rear canopy is longer and more rounded, it’s a Harvard. 

I can envision what was happening at Airfix circa 1962. The majority of British pilots had trained on the Harvard, so there’s a market. The draughtsman goes out to the local airfield, and measures a RAF Harvard II. Hilarity ensues. The bright side is that now Airfix can reissue it as a T-6 Texan, include the Stars and Bars, and sell it to many other modellers.

Even with the issue, I enjoyed building the kit, and hope you like it.

660F3843-BBF6-47DF-AC4E-25C73AE749F0.jpeg

34000BE6-1B1A-4B13-959B-880521452991.jpeg

ADAD28CE-1BA6-4D5C-B54B-A6278AB6A0C5.jpeg

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, robertw said:

This is a model that Airfix should redo or at least modify. The most popular Harvard was the Mk IV and I could see that one selling well in any and all standard scales.

There is a chance Airfix will do this in time. They have been good at re-tooling their old standards, and a Harvard would definitely sell, as long as it's a Harvard 4. Academy does a fantastic AT-6 Texan, so I hope that would not be their choice.