Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981 Bill Elliott

THarrison351

In the fall of 1980, Elliott gained his first major sponsor in the form of $500 from Harry Melling of Melling Racing in the 1980 National 500 at Charlotte. Melling would extend his contract and gave the team enough sponsorship to run a 12 race schedule in 1981. In the 1981 season, he had one Top 5 and seven Top 10 finishes in 13 races, including the team's first pole in the CRC Chemicals Rebel 500. He would lead 33 laps that season. Melling Racing Melling bought the team from Elliott's father George on December 1, 1981. (Wikipedia) I built this car along with all  the other Bill Elliott Sqarebirds at the same time. I used Slixx decals and likely Testors paints and detailing with with brush paint and baremetal foil. The side numbers are too large, I discovered too late Slixx offered correct numbers on a separate sheet. Oh well, here it is.

05252013072-vi.jpg

0525201307a2-vi.jpg

05252013062-vi.jpg

0525201306a2-vi.jpg

0525201307c2-vi.jpg

0525201307b2-vi.jpg

05252013082-vi.jpg

On 5/30/2020 at 8:58 PM, Dave Van said:

Nice work!!! Your dash work and overall stance is good!!! To bad Slixx got the foor number so wrong. I used a Cady '9' from one of his sheets.....can't recall which for sure. It worked well......

Thanks, I wish I had known at the time I was building these that the numbers were going to be wrong and there were alternatives available.

Both of you guys did good on the blue Elliot cars. I had the Slixx correction numbers when I did mine, overall the decals fought me all the way. I used Ford Guardsman blue for mine, looks darker in the picture.

fr1L70F.jpg

• 2 weeks later...