Model Cars Magazine Forum

U.S. source for Dspiae 2.0 sprue cutters

7 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

USA Gundam Store is a stateside retailer. However, they're out of st stock at the moment.

Pretty expensive for something that broke, though. I have a Xuron sprue cutter which I bought in 1996 for nine bucks. Over the years, it's taken a lickin' but it keeps on tickin'.

I dropped mine and they fell just right or just wrong depending on view point.

The tip bend pretty darn badly rendering them useless.

Attempts at repair has rendered them worse.

Edited by aurfalien

Check out God Hand sprue cutters. Like SfanGoch above, I have a set of Xuron sprue Cutters that I used all the time and that I have had for a long time. A friend at the Hobby Store kept bugging me to try the God Hand sprue cutters. I told him he was nuts and my Xuron cutters were fine, that I was't going to pay him $25 for a set of sprue cutters. At the time I think the Xuron cutters were like $11.99 a set. Finally after quite a long time of trying he hands me a set and says "Here take these home and try them and when you find you love them come back and pay for them." 

Night and day difference between the God Hand Cutters and the Xuron cutters. The God Hand cutters are designed for the guys who do the Gundam kits. A lot of those are molded in the correct colours and guys don't want to paint them but they also don't want the stress and distortion marks where the parts have been removed from the sprues. The God Hand Cutters minimize these marks and if you wanted to get spendy and step up and buy their expensive ($100ish) set of sprue cutters, they pretty much eliminate any of the distortion marks completely.

I don't think I have used my Xuron cutters hardly at all since I bought the God Hand ones. And I have actually bought a second set of God Hand cutters as well because my wife discovered how well they cut and she appropriated my first set for her own crafting purposes.

I am actually considering buying a set of $100 ones to use for some of the teeny tiny parts that I deal with. As of yet I haven't quite convinced myself that I can justify that expense. However, some of the folks I have been asking questions of have told me that there is a night and day difference between the cutters that I  currently have and the top-of-the-line ones that God Hand makes.

14 hours ago, blunc said:

Thanks Mike.  Darn they sold.  Oh well, kicking myself that I dropped mine.  I'm looking at a pair of highly rated Gundam nippers.

19 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Check out God Hand sprue cutters. Like SfanGoch above, I have a set of Xuron sprue Cutters that I used all the time and that I have had for a long time. A friend at the Hobby Store kept bugging me to try the God Hand sprue cutters. I told him he was nuts and my Xuron cutters were fine, that I was't going to pay him $25 for a set of sprue cutters. At the time I think the Xuron cutters were like $11.99 a set. Finally after quite a long time of trying he hands me a set and says "Here take these home and try them and when you find you love them come back and pay for them." 

Night and day difference between the God Hand Cutters and the Xuron cutters. The God Hand cutters are designed for the guys who do the Gundam kits. A lot of those are molded in the correct colours and guys don't want to paint them but they also don't want the stress and distortion marks where the parts have been removed from the sprues. The God Hand Cutters minimize these marks and if you wanted to get spendy and step up and buy their expensive ($100ish) set of sprue cutters, they pretty much eliminate any of the distortion marks completely.

I don't think I have used my Xuron cutters hardly at all since I bought the God Hand ones. And I have actually bought a second set of God Hand cutters as well because my wife discovered how well they cut and she appropriated my first set for her own crafting purposes.

I am actually considering buying a set of $100 ones to use for some of the teeny tiny parts that I deal with. As of yet I haven't quite convinced myself that I can justify that expense. However, some of the folks I have been asking questions of have told me that there is a night and day difference between the cutters that I  currently have and the top-of-the-line ones that God Hand makes.

Thanks Chris.  I've read that the GH are the gold standard.  However a bit pricy for my budget.

20 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I use grinding bits  to restore the tips and flatten the bottoms and diamond sharpening stones to restore the cutting surfaces.

Thanks Joe.  Welp, I don't have those but suspect I will once my honey do list requires them to do whatever my boss needs :)

Edited by aurfalien