Model Cars Magazine Forum

another Monogram Land Rover SWB

I have enjoyed Roadrunnertwice's restoration of his 1980's-era Land Rover, and it inspired me to pull my kit off the shelf. This is my third build of this kit, the first time when it was new (glue bomb), and the second time was an attempt to build an Out of Box build for local shows. Unfortunately, my skills were not up to the challenge, and I sold off most of the remains at a swap meet over 20 years ago. Hopefully third time's the charm...84A578CE-3F22-4614-A65F-229B30DC1597.jpeg.5eb2477543484cdbc0c0f145eac6ce10.jpeg

I started the build by filling in the sink marks and ejector pin marks on the body, body panels, and engine. There's a couple of deep flow marks on the rear of the body, and one runs right underneath the Land Rover badge. Fortunately, I do have a Revell parts kit, which has the decal I need to replace the badge.F1E48979-4506-417F-AFD9-15F19ECAAC32.jpeg.01f2b7b9b11e1d1104bc0ec2d51dd89a.jpeg

The chassis isn't too bad, but there are some heavy parting lines to smooth out. Some time spent with files, sanding sticks, and knives is in order. I drilled out the end of the exhaust pipe, and after the primer coat had dried, I laid down a coat of Tamiya AS-12 silver for the exhaust system. Once the part has dried, it will be time for masking.25C6DFFA-D39D-41AC-A9B1-72479BCFA5E0.jpeg.27cd2c6c7637ff22c2beb11fcda6ca84.jpeg

After sanding the putty on the engine and removing the seams, it was time to lay down some paint. The factory engine colour is a pale light green, so I airbrushed Humbrol 90 Matt Beige Green, cut with lacquer thinner. Before painting, I realized one missing piece was a distributor. Since the real part is buried underneath the air cleaner ducting, I cut and drilled a piece of sprue to act as a wire holder. It's now in the dehydrator, so it will take a couple of days of baking before it's ready for handling. 

3BEFC68C-A11A-4452-A9C6-7C4759F91388.jpeg

Cool! I’ll be watching. I’ve wanted this kit for a long time, since my friend Bart built a   nice one. The prices went astronomic, never saw another under $100. And it just wasn’t that important to me.

I do have the new Revell of Germany kit, and I was hoping that the interest in this one may get them to reissue the older one, or at least reduce the demand and allow prices to tumble!

I do have a question about the underside, I see in your picture that exhaust was molded with chassis.. what is the rest of the underside look like?  Is it a full detailed plate filling out the underside?  I ask because my Monogram Dodge Ramcharger just had the undetailed underside of the interior bucket showing, very toylike!

So far, so good Ken!  I drilled out a distributor from my parts box and added two wires folded in half to make my four leads and added one coil wire.  I used the smaller hole on the engine block not realizing that the base of the oil filler has two nubs for the holes.  I ended up moving the distributor to the center of the engine block after drilling a new hole for the distributor shaft.  If you are interested in perusing my WIP thread...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/144493-land-rover/

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Cool! I’ll be watching. I’ve wanted this kit for a long time, since my friend Bart built a   nice one. The prices went astronomic, never saw another under $100. And it just wasn’t that important to me.

I do have the new Revell of Germany kit, and I was hoping that the interest in this one may get them to reissue the older one, or at least reduce the demand and allow prices to tumble!

I do have a question about the underside, I see in your picture that exhaust was molded with chassis.. what is the rest of the underside look like?  Is it a full detailed plate filling out the underside?  I ask because my Monogram Dodge Ramcharger just had the undetailed underside of the interior bucket showing, very toylike!

The underside of the Land Rover is the same as the topside, but that is pretty much what the underside looks like. In many respects, it's like looking under an older Jeep CJ.

From all reports, the tooling for the Monogram Land Rover has been scrapped. I forget the link, but I'm sure someone here can provide the URL for the story. 

It's a shame, because it is a nice kit.

Mrmike, I read your thread and there were some good suggestions there. Thanks!

I have decided on my colours, and they will be Bronze Green with Limestone wheels and roof. I am using Tamiya TS-7 for Limestone, even though it may be a touch too yellow for accuracy. It looks good, though. For the green, I am using AS-21, which is an Imperial Japanese Navy green. It has a satin finish, which is more accurate for a Land Rover.

I have painted the chassis and taken off the masks, looks pretty good. I have also painted a whole pile of parts in flat black, but didn't bother taking pics yet.

IMG_0773.jpeg.5d7893d0982413b01e57b876a316b5a6.jpegIMG_0785.JPG.e712551730fb243d81ec68984480cae0.JPG

IMG_0772.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

I've been busy with some other projects, so haven't been posting as much on this build. I will be posting some newer photos soon.

Here are the rear seats, painted and detailed (the colour is a bit washed out due to sunlight, but it is dark). The seat on the left is from my last Land Rover build back in the early 1990's.

IMG_0863.JPG