Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rare Mini-Exotics Cheetah Kit

E St. Kruiser50

Hi all ;)

I thought maybe some of you would enjoy this :P

I bought this 4 or 5 years ago at least, on eBay. One of my first purchases. I think I paid around $35 plus shipping.

I wanted the body, so didn't ever pay much attention to the other stuff.

I've only had it out a couple of times and love to just look at it. The body from Mini-Exotics is just beautiful and feels just like styrene, although it's resin.

I actually didn't know what I had here until a few minutes ago, when I started reading the article that was included.

Never really looked at anything, up until now, except the body.

The 6 page article is a copy from a Dec. 1966 Rod and Custom magazine.

It's by Bob Schleicher, and tells how to convert a Cox Cheetah slot car to a full build-up, using parts from two now rare original 1966 Corvette and Mercedes 300SL.

The guy that sold me the kit collected all the parts, according to this article, to build this conversion.

I'm a bit shocked :lol: to say the least.

All the parts that came with the resin Cheetah kt from Mini-exotics, are still in the sealed bags they came in - cast white metal parts, windows and headlight covers, tail lights, etc.

Nearly 120 parts - still kind of amazed :P .

Not sure if I should ever build this or keep it as is.

Enjoy the pics

2008_1103Photobucket10043.jpg

2008_1103Photobucket10045.jpg

2008_1103Photobucket10044.jpg

2008_1103Photobucket10046-1.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

:lol: Dave, I know what ya mean.I got their Lola T-70 Coupe a coupla years ago (easy 7/8). It's a beautiful kit too. Just like your Cheetah. LOTS white metal parts, lotsa detail. It's an intimidating kit, to say the least! One of these days I'll get around to messin with it. But it's easy as well thought out as any mass produced kit. Besides,I don't see it in their catalog anymore, so I don't even know if it's still even available.But it too is a nice kit!. :lol:

:lol: Dave,I think Bernard may just have sumpthin there.Why DON'T you build it? It really IS a NICE kit. You more than have the abilities to do a kit this nice even nicer! Just a thought, after all it is yours.But a guy like you could do that kit the justice it deserves. :lol:;)

Cool project! I have a restorable Cox Cheetah, and bought some Modelhaus wheels/tires that are improvements over the original kit parts. The Mini Exotics kit is still available, though not sure if what you have is exactly what they offer today.

Historic Racing Miniatures makes an incredible full-detail Cheetah kit that probably is much like what you can achieve with all the parts you have. If your resin and white metal parts are clean and you have all the parts, you'll have a great model when done. Might as well build it, what you have isn't so rare/unobtainable for someone who wants a full-detail Cheetah because they can get the full monty from HRM.

Builders can find Cheetah models from Mini Exotics/R&D Unique, Modelhaus, and HRM. I've seen all three, the Modelhaus and HRM kits are of superb quality, the Mini Exotics is rougher around the edges but less $$. Modelhaus is simple repop of the original curbside Cox kit with improved rolling stock.

Cool project! I have a restorable Cox Cheetah, and bought some Modelhaus wheels/tires that are improvements over the original kit parts. The Mini Exotics kit is still available, though not sure if what you have is exactly what they offer today.

Historic Racing Miniatures makes an incredible full-detail Cheetah kit that probably is much like what you can achieve with all the parts you have. If your resin and white metal parts are clean and you have all the parts, you'll have a great model when done. Might as well build it, what you have isn't so rare/unobtainable for someone who wants a full-detail Cheetah because they can get the full monty from HRM.

Builders can find Cheetah models from Mini Exotics/R&D Unique, Modelhaus, and HRM. I've seen all three, the Modelhaus and HRM kits are of superb quality, the Mini Exotics is rougher around the edges but less $$. Modelhaus is simple repop of the original curbside Cox kit with improved rolling stock.

Thanks Bob :lol:

I had no ides what I had or what to do with it, so I sure do appreciate your help :lol:, and all the info about what's available out there. I love the body style of the Cheetah, and hope to build this one day soon.

All the best - Dave ;)

It would be a shame to see a builder of your caliber not build it! Just carefully document all its pieces so you can preserve some sort of memory of the kit and its previous owner and then get to it! :lol:

Thanks Bernard :lol:

Bob (AKA - ZOOM ZOOM) helped a bunch - it's safe to build ;);)

Edited by Treehugger Dave

;) Dave,I think Bernard may just have sumpthin there.Why DON'T you build it? It really IS a NICE kit. You more than have the abilities to do a kit this nice even nicer! Just a thought, after all it is yours.But a guy like you could do that kit the justice it deserves. :D;)

Hey buddy :lol:

How are ya?

Bob says I have one of those rare gems, ya see on the end of ANTIQUES ROAD SHOW ;);) .Not as rare as I wondered, but definitely a builder.

So, one of these days when no body expects it........... :lol:

See ya'll - Dave

The Cox Cheetahs are the ones that are rare and valuable. I got mine pretty cheap, but it was part of a package price for a number of similar old models that all have to be restored. I got some goodies to say the least.

I don't know what built ones generally go for, but my jaw dropped when I searched Feebay for Cox Cheetahs right after I got mine, and one had just sold for $620 in mint/unbuilt condition w/a nearly perfect box.

:lol: Dave, I know what ya mean.I got their Lola T-70 Coupe a coupla years ago (easy 7/8). It's a beautiful kit too. Just like your Cheetah. LOTS white metal parts, lotsa detail. It's an intimidating kit, to say the least! One of these days I'll get around to messin with it. But it's easy as well thought out as any mass produced kit. Besides,I don't see it in their catalog anymore, so I don't even know if it's still even available.But it too is a nice kit!. ;)

:blink: dude, I WANT to see that built

I love the Cheetah, i'll enjoy this, I probably like them more than the Cobra because you never see them also in 1:1. So cool looking and powerful and just perfect for the sports car racing world. :P

;) dude, I WANT to see that built

I love the Cheetah, i'll enjoy this, I probably like them more than the Cobra because you never see them also in 1:1. So cool looking and powerful and just perfect for the sports car racing world. :lol:

The Cheetah was a gorgeous car, designed to race or be a street super sports car. It was just a little too late to achieve much of anything against the sudden wave of mid-engined monocoque chassis cars with less frontal area. They rarely ran directly against the Cobras because they weren't built in sufficient numbers. The shop burned down before many were built, but they weren't going to sell well anyway because they had to compete against Lolas and Chaparrals and Cooper Monacos. They were better than the GS Vettes though. I watched them in person and they were beauties. That is a great kit and I would love to see it built.

There is a company building new 1:1 Cheetahs with approval from the creator, Bill Thomas.

Edited by MojaveRacer208