Model Cars Magazine Forum

custom 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Monster Jam

FenderMender

BEFORE::::

It's possible to write a long-winded account of this "model", but the real short version is that this Monster Jam's vehicle body was "cast" from a 1/25 scale plastic AMT/Ertl Classic 1951 Chevy Fleetline kit (38274) using only tissue paper, white and yellow carpenter's glue, water-based wood filler and water putty, plus gobs of patience,  experimenting and learning. Needless to say that it lacks both the strength and smoothness of metal and plastic. And it is rather difficult to tool.

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-033.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-034.jpg

Learning for all the mistakes encountered, I followed up with a second "casting" from a 1/24 scale Jada 2006 Dodge Charger R/T (91953). The Dodge body shape was less complicated and proved to be "easier" to fabricate.

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-030.jpg

Since I have four complete Monster Jam underbodies with wheels and tires that lack body shells, this '51 Chevy was my first attempt to fabricate a body shell for one of them.

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-050.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-044.jpg

Thanks for looking...

AFTER::::::

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-038.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-039.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-040.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-045.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-055.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-037.jpg

20 hours ago, FenderMender said:

INeedless to say that it lacks both the strength and smoothness of metal and plastic. And it is rather difficult to tool.

I commend you on your experimental, throw-away-the-box thinking, but what was the main thought here? I'm intensely curious. Why not just use a modified 51 Chevy or Charger plastic body? 

Thanks, Rob, for your commendation.

My main thought in doing this project was twofold.  First, to experiment with the idea of possibly using an existing model, either plastic or diecast, as a suitable mold for making an inexpensive but fairly accurate copy utilizing paper or other media that would conform to the shapes of said model. I wanted to be able to use household products on-hand without going into an involved and expensive affair requiring unfamiliar materials, products and procedures.  This project presented a challenge which I welcomed as something fun to do, too, and if it were to be successful, could become a relatively "easy"  source of my favorite body styles of cars and trucks to be duplicated and customized down the road.

Second, as mentioned in the post, there are four bodiless Monster Jam chassis that I grew tired of looking at as they were. I decided on doing this project without damaging, ruining or utilizing a perfectly fine 2006 Dodge Charger R/T model or a pristine, un-built, still in the box 1951 Chevy Fleetline  (which will be made as  a stock or  mild custom street car). My reasoning was to create a  "win-win" situation regarding the mold models themselves.  As a result,  the outcome of the project "saved" the two  good mold models;  if the project had failed, I would not have lost the two good mold models either.  

N.B. So I will finish up the 2006 Dodge Charger R/T soon and start working on  a third edition Monster Jam vehicle , although I've not determined a body style yet.  One thing  for sure, the processes involved in making the third edition  will  incorporate valuable experiences and ideas that were garnered from the making of the first two.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:53 PM, FenderMender said:

BEFORE::::

It's possible to write a long-winded account of this "model", but the real short version is that this Monster Jam's vehicle body was "cast" from a 1/25 scale plastic AMT/Ertl Classic 1951 Chevy Fleetline kit (38274) using only tissue paper, white and yellow carpenter's glue, water-based wood filler and water putty, plus gobs of patience,  experimenting and learning. Needless to say that it lacks both the strength and smoothness of metal and plastic. And it is rather difficult to tool.

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-033.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-034.jpg

Learning for all the mistakes encountered, I followed up with a second "casting" from a 1/24 scale Jada 2006 Dodge Charger R/T (91953). The Dodge body shape was less complicated and proved to be "easier" to fabricate.

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-030.jpg

Since I have four complete Monster Jam underbodies with wheels and tires that lack body shells, this '51 Chevy was my first attempt to fabricate a body shell for one of them.

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-050.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-044.jpg

Thanks for looking...

AFTER::::::

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-038.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-039.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-040.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-045.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-055.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-037.jpg

1951-Chevy-Monster-Jam-041.jpg