Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello Everyone . Here are some photos of military dioramas I built a while ago when I got back into the building hobby after decades long absence . A.W.O.L.

WW1 soldiers by Dragon , 1/35 scale , approaching German pillbox . Pillbox made from Dollarama hobby board covered with joint compound and painted .

Barbed wire is piece of old window screen. Soil is joint compound with pigments . Water filled crater is Vallejo Still Water

" Come out with your hands up!"

WW1Bunker right.jpg

WW1 French Renault tank . Air-brushed and hand painted camouflage . Tricky kit to build .

Soldiers are ICM kits , 1/35 scale.

Cobblestones are joint compound , removed bristles from paint brush , squared the brass holder and stuck that into compound for the blocks .

French tank left.jpg

WW2 German Kubelwagon by Tamiya . Air-brushed Tamiya colours , light weathering with pastels .

German fallschirmjagear ( para troops ) . Dragon kit , hand painted camouflage uniforms/helmets .

Street is pre-molded plastic . Street light from HO Gauge model railroad . Flower box is pop sicle stix .

Wall is hobby board and compound .

All 1/35 scale .

Kubelwagon WW2.jpg

Thanks Carl. The base we used for the WW1 bunker/soldiers was a sports plaque that would hang on a wall . We find these in Goodwill for 50 cents . Remove the brass plaque

and they're all set .

French tank base is from Michaels , not the greatest wood , quite soft and it warped a bit .

The German kubelwagon base is scrap pieces of wood , coated with marine exterior varnish by Beautitone .

Hi Jim . The FT-17 French tank was by RPM Models . I think they're a Polish company.There's a kit review on-line .

Probably this kit is less detailed than Meng .

Nice fit-up with the kit., Tracks are 1 piece molded rubber . I had a bit of difficulty with them . It's the first armour kit I've done .

Thanks for feedback Larry .

Jumping back and forth between building model cars and military dioramas can be fun .

Jim , I watched a You Tube video of that Meng kit , lots of detail . Good reviews . I've never built any of their product , but it seems they have a loyal following .