Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT ‘66 Chevy Nova Pro Street/ MPC ‘72 Vega Drag

laemtao

The nova will get a pro street build and the Vega will get more drag build but I’m kit bashing them together. 

1966 Chevy Nova and 1972 Chevy Vega

Nova Paint: Tamiya Maroon with Tamiya Clear Pearl over Maroon

Vega paint: still thinking, maybe a blue shade

Model Car Garage Photoetched sheet will be added. 

I cut the trunk out to showcase the fuel tank, add a NOS bottle and the Delco Battery, will be fully routed/wired. 

will lower the stance just slightly, Interior will stay stock, with a scratch built 6 point roll cage. Toughest challenge is I have no clue about this setup but will give it a shot, also the door panels are smooth so gonna scratch the factory stock panels to keep interior factory stock and the PE sheet will help pop the details. 

F50B45A2-5593-4AE1-806C-E9BCC9102754.jpeg

A258F611-DAC2-4B23-A9BA-B93061041454.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by laemtao

Very cool project! I just finished up the "rescue/rehab" of a glue bomb of this kit. Gave me a lot of good ideas of how I'd like to build a "good" one. 

One suggestion for you: Lose those molding marks on the top of the rear fenders and then running along the fender edge from there back. This wasn't done on the (already painted) one I just reworked. I ended up carefully trimming them off with a chisel-edge blade, and then had to touch up the paint. Fortunately after a few coats of clear the scars are hardly noticeable now. Good luck and drive on! B)

engine progress for the Nova the kit 327 (I think/hope) needs wiring and top half next. 

also finished up the chassis on the nova, awaiting the engine mount! 

Sanded down the trim to barely a bump to add the PE strip down the side. Left a little bump to create lift for the thin pieces of PE. 

41E5E9E4-BD94-4AC1-B57C-B9792195DA42.jpeg

E8D4EE72-9054-43E2-BCF2-758E69C446A8.jpeg

CE374445-6043-4827-B97A-C6911A8BBBEF.jpeg

Edited by laemtao

Finished up wiring some of the Chevy block for the ‘66 Nova Pro Street build. I paired the 8 cables in 2 and will clean up the “hang” whatever you wanna call it once placed in the engine bay. I’m really hoping it clears the firewall. I test fit the engine prior to the new distro so we will see. Still have a lot to go on the engine. 

the engine block is coated in model masters  burgundy red and the body will soon get the same treatment. 5 or 6 different shades of silver were used it got a little chaotic so forgot. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

0C42F0B4-48CB-4B81-B74D-76FBFF2E1406.jpeg

67B33FD5-5B9D-4A84-B8B7-1C85F2F5E5CE.jpeg

Edited by laemtao

COLOR PREVIEW: burgundy red

few more layers and sanding.

i also ordered side interior panels from another ‘66 Nova to use some nice PE on it, I know earlier I posted I would scratch build it but after researching the kit found a cheap set on eBay. Yay! 

4472A69E-09B4-41F0-8A7A-A6D79DEA5B87.jpeg

Edited by laemtao