Model Cars Magazine Forum

I mostly build Hot Rods and Customs but I have been pondering on building some Ford GT's. Any tips or suggestions on what kits are good would be appreciated. I know the Tamiya kit is supposed to be great, Also is there much in the way of after market parts and detail items available for them.

Thanks

Okay Jon, which Ford GT?  The current version (2nd generation from 2016 on up) or first generation (2005-6)?  Since you mentioned Tamiya, I am assuming current gen and it would be the go-to for a street version.  There is aftermarket available depending on how detailed you want to be.  Here is a good spot for reference...

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=49570

11 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Okay Jon, which Ford GT?  The current version (2nd generation from 2016 on up) or first generation (2005-6)?  Since you mentioned Tamiya, I am assuming current gen and it would be the go-to for a street version.  There is aftermarket available depending on how detailed you want to be.  Here is a good spot for reference...

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=49570

Well Gerry I am thinking about all the Ford GT's. From the first version to the latest version. I have always been a GT fan.

8 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Well Gerry I am thinking about all the Ford GT's. From the first version to the latest version. I have always been a GT fan.

The only First gen GT I am aware of in kit form is the Polar Lights kit.  I don't recollect any aftermarket parts for that.  There may have been decals, but do not remember anything.  I have a version of the 1st gen in the stash if you want to look at it at tonight's meeting.

SAM_1985.JPG.750e10372b135638007a71210e328394.JPG

Stretching further back, there are GT40's and that is a different conversation.

SAM_2077.JPG

SAM_2078.JPG

SAM_2080.JPG

SAM_2081.JPG

SAM_2082.JPG

SAM_2083.JPG

SAM_2084.JPG

SAM_2085.JPG

SAM_3047.JPG

• Like 2

This is the Revell Snap 2nd generation with the Polar Lights 1st Gen:

gt-plus-720-mirage-2.jpg

And the 720 Mirage (a GT with the wick turned up to 11):

lined-low-left.jpg

lined-low-going-away-left.jpg

The external visible differences are limited to a more open rear bulkhead to let the heat out of the engine bay, so it's a pretty easy conversion...

best,

M.