Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some questions in potential build issues

I've built all of them a few times. The worst of the bunch is the dm600. From tons of fitment issues, to horrible instructions, I would avoid it. The general is straight forward. Just a little challenging with the frame steps, and hood hinges. The diamond reo is easy. I haven't come across any major challenges with them yet!

it is best to fit the cab and hood before you glue the cab mounts to the frame,it helps the cab to sit level and the hood will open better too.I try and fit it together that way because so much depends on the position of the cab,the rear suspension can be tricky too.it is best to have a flat surface to set it on to make sure the axles are level,so one wheel wont be higher?.The hood hinges are tricky to get straight,hard to get them to stay where you want them,if you can glue them and then later "snap" them over the bracket that works good,but it is hard on some of them,i have also mounted the grille then later installed the hood to it as well.harvey

If fit is a problem that's some good advice from Harvey.  Nothing says you have to put everything exactly where the instructions say.  Cut or relocate as necessary to get the fit and stance right.  It makes all the difference in the world to a successful build.  If holding parts together is a problem, try pinning the parts together along with the glue.  Check for warping as well.  Especially the frames when they are glued up.  Very easy for the siderails to not be parallel unless there is constant checking of crossmembers.

2 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

If fit is a problem that's some good advice from Harvey.  Nothing says you have to put everything exactly where the instructions say.  Cut or relocate as necessary to get the fit and stance right.  It makes all the difference in the world to a successful build.  If holding parts together is a problem, try pinning the parts together along with the glue.  Check for warping as well.  Especially the frames when they are glued up.  Very easy for the siderails to not be parallel unless there is constant checking of crossmembers.

Thank you. I assume you are referring to the General. If so it is the latest reissue of the kit.

The DM600 has one error on the reissues that should be fixed. The left rear corner of the hood has a notch in it that does not appear on the real truck. The hood should have a plain 90 degree corner to it and no notch. The cab would need to have the corresponding bumpout removed and the hood have the notch filled in. This appears to have been done when they reissued the 600 kit so that they could use the same cab mold for the DM800 as well as the DM600. It is quite easy to fix. The attached photo is from an original MPC issued kit with the correct hood details.

dm600hood.jpg

Edited by redneckrigger