Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Model Is Your Sentimental Favorite And Why?

There's a few for me, all pretty much equally evocative of better times with infinite possibilities still in the future...

The Revell SWC Willys is certainly one, as is the original opening-door Revell '57 Chebby.

The others are the AMT '40 Tudor Sedan, the AMT '49 Ford coupe, AMT '53 Ford pickup, and two of AMT's double kits, the original issue Ala Kart / '29 Ford and the XR-6 / '27 T.

Image result for original ala kart kit        Image result for revell 57 chevy

When I got back into the hobby 30 years ago the model I sought out was the Tom Daniel  Tijuana Taxi.  I had it as a kid and had fond memories of the many lives it led.  Of course it was difficult to find back then and expensive.  I finally found one that was missing parts, and once we all got on-line, two guys on the boards from Europe, no less, sent me the parts I needed.  

From my second foray as a modeler 30 years ago, my sentimental favorite is the AMT 1953 Ford Pickup.   I built my favorite model from one about 25 years ago and I've had a warm spot for that kit ever since!  

Like many here I built models as a kid.  I was into WW1 airplanes, then WW2 German aircraft.  Then I built cars, lots and lots of cars.  Blew a few up with cherry bombs, crashed some in the sandbox, retained none of them.  Then came the military, marriage, kids, a house, and divorce.  

My sentimental favorites are the Monogram stock cars that came out in the late '80s.  I was (and still am) seriously into NASCAR and I built dozens of those kits in different liveries as a way to deal with my new lifestyle and reconnect with my youth.  My tastes have evolved since then but I can still build one of those stock cars blindfolded!  I now have a spouse that understands and appreciates my passion for this hobby, and discovered through this forum that I'm not alone in my enjoyment of this pastime.

Great topic!

I was about 14 when I built this for my father,  it was the first time I used actual car paint in a model,  it sat on a shelf in his room for years,   sadly he passed about 5 years ago ,  my mother gave the car to me along with the model,  neither will ever leave this family as my son has all ready claimed them.

DSC02395.JPG

465539_3703324375564_391470261_o.jpg

Great story on it Troy.  Like me...my dads old ones are so important to me they will be in the family for many years to come rather i can get them restored or repaired or not.  I also have a few Id love to find again from my childhood days I once had...maybe someday..?

There are quite a few sentimental kits which spark some fantastic memories for me . The following text is in the past and future tenses ; the accompanying photos are pilfered from the 'net .

Without further ado :

MPC1978chevyC10.thumb.jpg.c8c83c0811ced8

The MPC 1978 Chevy Stepside annual . I built quite a few of them when the kit was new ; none of them survive . I scored an unbuilt sample a few years ago , and am waiting until my skills improve a little more ( arthritis and diminishing vision are my enemies ) before I tackle it . 

Kandy_Van_Custom_Chevy_Van_AMT_T246.thum

The ubiquitous AMT Chevy Van . Built countless samples of these vans , with the Kandy Van being the most common . Again , none of them survived --- but , thanks to Round2 , I now have a couple in my "some day" collection .

turtleWax1970challenger.thumb.jpg.bc9ca2

This beauty ! Especially the Turtle Wax edition ! I could build these in my sleep ! There was a now-defunct chain toy store which had a big , deep bin full of these for 99 cents back in the late 80's-early 90's ! 
The only one I have is one which I painted pearl white ; it's in storage .

monogram-boss-mustang.thumb.jpg.e881e72f

Another "I could build this in my sleep" kit . This one and its 1986 modified reissue relative were constantly on my work bench back in the 80's .

1940sedanDelivery.thumb.jpg.71c8a90d87e1

Last , but certainly not least , is the AMT 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery . I have only one sample ( I'll eventually take a photo of the finished model ) , as I've only built one . Its sentimental value has more to do  with , let's say , 'Beyond the Wall of Sleep' kind of thing . To wit ; I was building this kit in the garage . I'd painted it in some Tamiya dark green colour (whose name I've forgotten) and was starting to foil its trim . My mum saw the painted body and said , "That's a '40 Ford ! That was your grandfather's first new car ! It was that exact dark green , too !" . So , my plans for a mild custom were now changed ; I had to build it as a stock replica --- no Nailhead , no period-custom wheels , no nothing . 

I gave the completed model to my mum as a gift ( she was unaware that her sentimental recollections of riding around in that sedan delivery back in the 40's had changed my mind , and that I was going to give her the completed kit ) , and she positively loved it !

A little over a year later , my mum got pancreatic cancer , and expired 5 months later . 

I have the sedan delivery on display -- it's in a clear case -- where it will stay until ______________ .