Model Cars Magazine Forum

Workbench surface?

I was wondering if I’m the only one who has a problem with my workbench surface? There’s a whole bunch of little questions I’d like to asked. I use the mats that we all have. I even have a piece of duct tape that I put my CR glue on to, but it still gets funky. I love to hear what you all do. 

3 minutes ago, V8tiger said:

I was wondering if I’m the only one who has a problem with my workbench surface? There’s a whole bunch of little questions I’d like to asked. I use the mats that we all have. I even have a piece of duct tape that I put my CR glue on to, but it still gets funky. I love to hear what you all do. 

I use a piece of 1/4 thick glass 2ftx4ft  if it gets anything on it just scrape it off with a x-acto knife

• Like 1

I use old CDs for glue, small quantities of detailing paints, and epoxies, putties, etc.  Once they're too loaded up (no available empty space) to use, they go into the trash. 

In fact, I have a round plastic coffee "can" (approx. 24-30 oz size) at the back of my bench. It's the perfect size to drop the used-up CDs in, flat. Keeps them from contaminating anything else - even if some of the paint or glue is still soft & uncured, or if the putty remains unhardened. The can holds so many CDs I haven't even filled one up yet. But when it is full, it goes into the trash - capped - and I'll start another.  Neatest disposal system for those excess benchtop liquids I've ever seen!

See the source image

I'm working off of an old wooden roll top desk and want to preserve the finish as much as I can. I found a kitchen type cutting board at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The surface has a small dip running around the outer edge I guess to catch any fluids when used in the kitchen. Both sides have a rubber surface that runs along the side to keep it from sliding around. The work surface is an off-white color in a hard plastic type of finish and is available in a couple of sizes. Mine happens to be 14" by 21" but they do offer some smaller as well. As I recall it was less than $20. 

i built my desk from a counter top, with a slid out table that i tape my mat to using the tape on the side for my CA glues drops. i buy the double side mat's so when one side gets so messed up with paint & glue i flip it over..usually takes a few years cause i will clean the mat often..

SAM_2304 (2).JPG

SAM_2303.JPG

SAM_4011 (2).JPG