Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari 360 Spider

beeRS

Here's one I built a long time ago, but somehow never photographed till now. This is Tamiya's kit. It went together really well - as you would expect from Tamiya. I went to an auto paint supplier and got them to supply the correct Ferrari blue aerosol can, however the fleck in the paint is for a 1:1 car, and looks a bit odd on a 1/24 model. At the time of building this (probably around 2010), I had not discovered Zero paints or the myriad other great brands now available to us modelers. My masking skills were not up to scratch at that time, so you may notice that the silver (aluminium affect) interior trim is brush painted, as is the black trim around the windscreen. I did use a photo etch kit with this, though I cannot remember the brand now. I'm pretty sure that the UK number plates were pinched from another kit. I don't know from where, but I do know that the front one is a little wonky - how did I never noticed this before!

Here are the small modifications I made... 

1)   The 'T' shape gear selector is the wrong shape from the kit, so I made this from scratch.

2)   Added a stick-on carpet - a grey felt material.

3)   Round side indicators were sanded flat, then replaced with pin heads after painting the body. Clear orange over the top

4)   Scratch built new engine cover hinges using paper-clip wire. The cover operates without any wobble and stays open by itself now.

Here's the finished model. It's been in the cabinet for over a decade now. Better late than never.

PC170057-copy.jpg

PC170059-copy.jpg

PC170061.jpg

PC170062-copy.jpg

PC170063.jpg

PC170066-copy.jpg

PC170067.jpg

PC170069.jpg

PC170070-copy.jpg

PC170071-copy.jpg

PC170076-copy.jpg

PC170077.jpg