Model Cars Magazine Forum

What (Heavy/Semi)Truck engines are not available in Kit or Resin form?

I think the idea of having parts to update the outdated engines is a fantastic idea.

Many kits have an engine that’s too old for the truck, but with some modification, they can be made accurate. 

For example, the Cummins NTA 370 in the T600A could, and should, be updated to an N14. I think the parts would be fairly easy to print. There’s a great Car Modeller article by Ken Smith on the update: https://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/model_magazine_articles/car_modeller/cm21_sept_1993_conv/

The Italeri “wanna-be” N14 (Aeromax, FLD 120, LTL 9000) should also be corrected in a very similar manner to the AMT NTA 370.

As it was said, updated aftercoolers for each of the Cummins 855 series (Big Cam I, II, III, IV) and Cat 3406 series (3406b) would also be a great idea. The Cat engines could use an accurate Jacket Water Aftercooler (JWAC). It would allow us to more easily model a specific engine in each series that’s accurate for the year of the truck we’re building.

One last thing, for the modern resin engines out there, like Moluminum’s 3406E and C15 (and if you make the updated parts for turning the AMT and Italeri Cummins into an N14), we need a proper Charge Air Cooler (Air to Air Aftercooler). Even the 3406b engine started getting an Air to Air Aftercooler added starting about 1985/86 replacing the JWAC system. The 3406c had the  ATA aftercooler, too.

No one, to my knowledge, has made an accurate ATA/Charge Air Cooler, in resin or 3d. Italeri made a half-hearted attempt with their Series 60, and I used it as a base when I scratch built this one for my 3406E that’s currently on the bench. I modeled it after an aftermarket CAC by Dura-Lite.

37F9DA21-F88B-4C63-916F-E326DF0EC314.thumb.jpeg.aac252af0471f67e81dfbd2fd717aaba.jpeg

E649D9BE-16A7-4D53-84DE-4C2F689C9098.thumb.jpeg.b2e889a82fdcd232540fd6e6b5de7501.jpeg

Thanks!!!

Edited by vincen47
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, vincen47 said:

I think the idea of having parts to update the outdated engines is a fantastic idea.

Many kits have an engine that’s too old for the truck, but with some modification, they can be made accurate. 

For example, the Cummins NTA 370 in the T600A could, and should, be updated to an N14. I think the parts would be fairly easy to print. There’s a great Car Modeller article by Ken Smith on the update: https://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/model_magazine_articles/car_modeller/cm21_sept_1993_conv/

The Italeri “wanna-be” N14 (Aeromax, FLD 120, LTL 9000) should also be corrected in a very similar manner to the AMT NTA 370.

As it was said, updated aftercoolers for each of the Cummins 855 series (Big Cam I, II, III, IV) and Cat 3406 series (3406b) would also be a great idea. The Cat engines could use an accurate Jacket Water Aftercooler (JWAC). It would allow us to more easily model a specific engine in each series that’s accurate for the year of the truck we’re building.

One last thing, for the modern resin engines out there, like Moluminum’s 3406E and C15 (and if you make the updated parts for turning the AMT and Italeri Cummins into an N14), we need a proper Charge Air Cooler (Air to Air Aftercooler). Even the 3406b engine started getting an Air to Air Aftercooler added starting about 1985/86 replacing the JWAC system. The 3406c had the  ATA aftercooler, too.

No one, to my knowledge, has made an accurate ATA/Charge Air Cooler, in resin or 3d. Italeri made a half-hearted attempt with their Series 60, and I used it as a base when I scratch built this one for my 3406E that’s currently on the bench. I modeled it after an aftermarket CAC by Dura-Lite.

37F9DA21-F88B-4C63-916F-E326DF0EC314.thumb.jpeg.aac252af0471f67e81dfbd2fd717aaba.jpeg

E649D9BE-16A7-4D53-84DE-4C2F689C9098.thumb.jpeg.b2e889a82fdcd232540fd6e6b5de7501.jpeg

Thanks!!!

You are right on the money there Victor.
The N14 is available from Auslowe tho', I don't know exactly how accurate it is but it's the version vith the red aluminum valve covers.
But I would for sure like to see upgrade kits for existing kit engines to do newer or more powerful versions like different aftercoolers, heads/valve covers and such.
It occured to me that the Detroit Diesel 8V-71 and 8V-92 engines available to us have the low profile valve covers used on engines without Jake Brakes, because Jake Brake equipped Detroit engines had taller valve covers to make room for the Jakes wich sits on top of the valve train and these would be nice to have as I believe lots of trucks for highway use even back in the day had Jakes...maybe even a turbo kit for the Detroits would be nice to have.
The Italeri kits really needs some upgrade parts, especially in the head area on the Cummins as all are the same except for induction systems, and it's pretty hard to convince anybody that a Cummins engine wich oviously is a NTC by the look of the heads/valve covers and tell them that it's a N14...naah that don't work if you know your engines.
Engines like the C15 Cat, the X15 Cummins and the MP8 Mack/D13 Volvo are available on the aftermarket but they are too new for the most of the truck kits available to us, with that said I don't mind that they are made as you could re-power an older truck with a newer engine but more engine options for the era of truck kits that are available to us would be nice.

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 12:29 PM, Force said:

That's a great idea.

All AMT NTA and NTC, and Revell Germany NTC Cummins engines has water to air aftercoolers except the engine in the AMT White Freightliner SD/DD kit wich has none, but the aftercoolers changed over the years so different options would be nice, the red one in PacificEd's post is one that's not available in kit form, neither is the one in Mr mopars post.
Big Cam or Small Cam is not that visible in kit form as the block is essentially the same except for the cam follower covers wich are slightly bigger on the Big Cam engines, but the exhaust, turbo and aftercooler is very visible on a model.

The Cat 3406 in the Revell snap Kenworth W900 and Peterbilt 359 needs an aftercooler because it has none.

Ok, good info. I will dig through my kits and see what I have and build for those first.