Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell '32 Ford 5-window coupe

I've just finished the interior and the new optional engine in this kit.

The interior goes together like a breeze....here it is build with the new '40 Ford Insturment Panel, the white faces guauges (one of three decal choices that go behind a clear styrene face), the new Piston-topped shifter, and the firewall with matching tuck'n'roll pleating (not visible here but shown in other pictures at the link). Speaking of the link below, it has four more interior pictures including a closeup of the floor board with the three pedals for the manual transmission in the new engine option.

DSC_0097-vi.jpg

As for the engine, here is a shot of the completed 1950's style Hemispherical V8 engine option. I am highly impressed with the delicacy of some of the engine parts - look at the really thin (and realistically accurate) header flanges, and the smaller-than-typical but much more accurate treatment of the fan belt. The water pump to cylinder head coolant (two seperate pieces in this kit vs. one piece in previous kits' treatment of this type of engine) is beautifully handled. A total of nine pictures of the engine are at the link including a photo of the engine partially assembled and closelups of some of the individual engine components. Remember there are two other engine options in the kit too (5.0L Ford V8 with four barrel and Ford Motorsport valve covers, and the same engine with an SEFI intake and billet style valve covers).

DSC_0105-vi.jpg

Real time build of Revell '32 Ford Five WIndow Coupe

Stay tuned....next update probably in about one week (the body is in the paint booth now) and thanks for looking. TIM

Thanks for the updates, Tim. I especially appreciate the fact that you have done just enough chrome stripping and detail painting to show off the kit's attributes without changing the basic look of what Revell is offering. I'm certain Revell will sell this one by the boatload. It will be ineresting to compare the response to this kit to the release of the Tudor a couple of years back. My impression is that quite a few of us have returned to the hobby or taken it up for the first time since then and that this will have a positive impact on sales.

Thanks for the updates, Tim. I especially appreciate the fact that you have done just enough chrome stripping and detail painting to show off the kit's attributes without changing the basic look of what Revell is offering. I'm certain Revell will sell this one by the boatload. It will be ineresting to compare the response to this kit to the release of the Tudor a couple of years back. My impression is that quite a few of us have returned to the hobby or taken it up for the first time since then and that this will have a positive impact on sales.

Bernard....hope you are right about this and I see signs of the same thing. Meanwhile....that's a really sharp '37 Chevy in your post....details???? TIM

....that's a really sharp '37 Chevy in your post....details???? TIM

Thanx Tim!

I finshed that one earlier this year. It's a tribute build to Don Banes who gave me the kit last year when I was just getting started again. Here's the link to the Under Glass posting:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=Bonneville

Finished the body part of the build this morning. Note the nicely done internal flanging on the decklid opening which will allow easy hinging of the lid for those who love to kitbash (my contact at Revell tells me one of our favorite aftermarket resin casters is preparing a new product offering with trunk compartment upholstery/panels).

The proportions and body engraving all appear spot-on to my eyes. Note the '50 Pontiac tailamp lenses which are the most accurate versions of these popular hot rodding choice yet.

Paint is Testors AMC Big Bad Blue with an overcoat of Tamiya Pearl Clear and then several coats of Tamiya Clear, rubbed out.

Entering the final assembly stage now....hopefully the model will be completed within the next week.

Seven more new pics at the link below. Thanks for looking....TIM

DSC_0162-vi.jpg

DSC_0167-vi.jpg

Real Time Build - Revell '32 Ford Five Window Coupe

Hey Tim, by any chance do you have any pictures of the 32 dash that is included in the kit? I'm curious as to if Revell has finally given us a currect dash for this kit or is the 3window dash that also found its way into the sedan kit still included :D .

Brett

Looks excellent, Tim! Looks like those taillights have separate lenses. True?

Ken, the tailamps are molded in chrome....I think it would have been difficult to get the scale fidelity with seperate lenses....just a touch of Testors Stollight Red Metallic yielded the look shown here. By the way these are smaller than the '50 Pointiacs in the AMT '34 Ford Five Window Coupe street rod kit, and more accurate in size to my eye...TIM

Sorry if this has been answered already but does this version come with a stock firewall...

Shane...the kit has two firewalls....the same recessed unit that has been with the kit since it was first issued, and a second firewall that appears the same from the outside but has engraving on the inside - tuck'n'roll - to match the new interior. I have mocked up the final assembly and I don't think a stock firewall would have cleared that big 1950's V8.

I painted the firewall with Alclad chrome and it will have a somewhat late 1950's early 1960's polished aluminum firewall style vibe with somewhat vague reflections of the V8.....

TIM

I'm really enjoying your build up Tim, I can't wait to see it finished. I don't get a chance to build many street rods lately but this looks like a must have kit.

-Steve

Hey,,,..thanks Steve...really appreciate that. Hey what's with the early 1960's Altered Coupe on your signature in the upper LH corner of your post....I have always wanted to build one of these after seeing one in a 1963 copy of Car Craft magazine that my elementary school teacher confiscated from one of the misbehaving kits in class and gave to me (smile).....TIM

Hey Tim, by any chance do you have any pictures of the 32 dash that is included in the kit? I'm curious as to if Revell has finally given us a currect dash for this kit or is the 3window dash that also found its way into the sedan kit still included <_< .

Brett

Brett....as far as I know the other dash is the same as the one in the '32 sedan kit....I will take a look at them and let you know later....TIM

Tim, that puppy looks REAL good. Question on the new engine: there seems to be some controversy as to whether or not it represents a 392 Hemi. If so, how does it compare with the very nicely done 392s in the new tool 41 Willys kits?

Tim, that puppy looks REAL good. Question on the new engine: there seems to be some controversy as to whether or not it represents a 392 Hemi. If so, how does it compare with the very nicely done 392s in the new tool 41 Willys kits?

Larry, near as I can tell it represents an approximation of that engine, except for the spacing of the tubes on the exhaust headers which is clearly different.

Hope all is well.....TIM

Hey,,,..thanks Steve...really appreciate that. Hey what's with the early 1960's Altered Coupe on your signature in the upper LH corner of your post....I have always wanted to build one of these after seeing one in a 1963 copy of Car Craft magazine that my elementary school teacher confiscated from one of the misbehaving kits in class and gave to me (smile).....TIM

It's a 1/8th scale prototype that I rebuilt for Lindberg last year based on the Exterimator dragster kit. It was on display at I-hobby Expo in case you missed it.

Lindberg Competition Coupe rebuild photos

Hit me OTB if you want to know more.

-Steve

Tim, do you have any pics to share of the new steel wheels and the backsides of them? i'm very curious as to how easily these may fit something more fitting like the tires from the '40 Ford kit or even the wide whites from the Mercury kit.

Dave

Dave,,,here you go....I can sort of answer your question in reverse....recently I used the Revell stock '48 Ford wheels in these big'n'bigger former Goodyear Blues STreaks and they fit fine...so presumably these would fit the whitewalls in the ProModeler '48 Ford....but I have not tried it myself. Both the front side and rear side of the rims for the larger tires have a deeper offset...More pix at the link...TIM

DSC_0194-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just picked up the Revell '32 Ford 5-Window Coupe at Michaels with the 40% off coupon (knocked $10.00 off price) and this is one VERY NICE kit! The white molded plastic parts look clean and there is very little flash on anything. Parts are all bagged. Three chrome trees with lots of goodies, a real cool decal sheet and 4 soft rubber tires (which should have been bagged..I placed 'em in a snack baggie). It's interesting to note that this kit is 1/25 as is the old AMT kit but the roof area and side surface area are larger. I compared the two bodies and they match at the lower rear and cowl width. This is going to be one real nice kit to build.

Joe

If you look a " Real " 1932, note the fact that the body actually has the correct proportions . The A M T body has always been a "Sectioned and slightly Chopped green house ". All one has to do is compare the Revell, formerly Monogram 1930 Model A coupe . The green houses are supposed to look that way ! Now I know Im commiting a grevious crime here but I shall be converting my 1932 Five window to a , GASP - Agggghhh Stocker ! Look , I don't build model hotrods . I built 1-1 hotrods for well heeled clients for years ....... Ed Shaver

32Fordsedanside.jpg

32Fordsedanrear.jpg

32Fordsedanfront.jpg

Edited by Eshaver

Yepper, Ed, I've been aware of the "sectioned/chopped" AMT look for many years. Guess what I was saying is that until I actually compared the two 5-window bodies today (AMT and Revell) I didn't realize just how much the difference really is. First thing that came to my mind was to do the rod look with the AMT body 'cause I like it that way and do a nice stock looker with the Revell body. Anyway...Revell has a true winner with this kit. Just went back over the kit trees and I am impressed with how clean they are.

Joe

Hey Joe.... I have this same kit and it doesn't have the flathead engine in it. but i also have Revell's '32 sedan kit which it is identical to the 5 window kit and this one has the flathead in it. They are both very nice kits. I have the '32 5 window that I am building as a rat rod project. there's a thread I started in on the workbench and Hopefully I will get back to working on that kit now that I finished up a different one

Hey Joe.... I have this same kit and it doesn't have the flathead engine in it. but i also have Revell's '32 sedan kit which it is identical to the 5 window kit and this one has the flathead in it. They are both very nice kits. I have the '32 5 window that I am building as a rat rod project. there's a thread I started in on the workbench and Hopefully I will get back to working on that kit now that I finished up a different one

Man, I hate it when I...muck up like that!!!! I had both the Revell '32 Sedan and the Revell '32 5-window out and was looking at the sedan kit parts, glanced at the new '32 5-window box and thought about that MCM '40 Ford Street Rod article Tim Boyd wrote. Thanks for setting me straight...and doing it in a nice way, my friend. Just goes to show that at 60 I can't be thinking about three things at once ;^)

Joe

Edited by rhoadapple

Man, I hate it when I...muck up like that!!!! I had both the Revell '32 Sedan and the Revell '32 5-window out and was looking at the sedan kit parts, glanced at the new '32 5-window box and thought about that MCM '40 Ford Street Rod article Tim Boyd wrote. Thanks for setting me straight...and doing it in a nice way, my friend. Just goes to show that at 60 I can't be thinking about three things at once ;^)

Joe

Joe I have to tell you that I was just like you with the Michaels 40% coupon... every week when I get a sunday paper I cut out the 40% coupon for Michaels cause if I can save some money on a kit I am going to...lol B) the one thing that I have noticed is that the Michaels that I go to here in Arizona only carry Revell kits. Is this the same for everyone else?? I have not noticed any AMT kits from them at all. wish they had more of a selection too :) haha But I can't complain with a few of the revell kits that I have picked up, they have been very nice.