Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

GTmike400

Guest Sickfish

Is there only one word to some up this build so far?? I don't think there is! But i'll add.....ohmy.gifFLABBERGHASTED!!!

Whatever you're doing...just keep doing it!!! STUNNING!!!

Cheer's Cliff!!

Hello Mr. Mike, we have never met, but I do think that we have a friend in common...Dirk Joseph. Dirk has been the reason I have tried and I want emphasize the use of the word "tried", to bring my modeling to a higher level. Dirk is the reason for my purchasing a Sherline lathe/mill, I have built a pressure/vacuum tank for resin casting my own parts, I have built a vacuum forming box, paint booth and have just started my first complete brass tube chassis (going under a 1970 Toyota Corolla drag car) etc. Dirk first mentioned you (and he always had good things to say) when you were fortunate enough to have obtained the lathe of the great Augie Hiscano. I have watched your posts over the years and I will say this....your skills as a machinists in such a short period of time exhibits such a level of professionalism that it is truly outstanding! The items that really peak my interest are things such as your planning, the way your worked is secured ( I really like the collet in the block that can be secured in the vise), the way you machined the sine blocks (the blocks themselves are beautiful) for the angles in the engine, the way you use terms as "qualified" and the reason why it is needed, the .125 linen phenolic, I have no idea what this is but I totally understand the concept behind using it, the use of nickle and brass etc. etc. It is very clear that you have had some professional training in machining, design, CAD and probably CNC. The reason why I say this is because your work speaks for itself AMAZING!!!!!! I have no qualms about saying this...you my friend have become a serious, serious force to be reckoned with and in my humble opinion with what I have seen here...one of this country's BEST MODEL CAR BUILDERS....amazing work.

PS. where could I sign up when you decide to teach your own classes on the subjects I mentioned above, or put out some DVDs.....I'm serious!!!!

Guest Sickfish

"Eh...it's okay, I guess. I've seen better"...ScrappyJ "

Are you F**KIN serious mate?? If you're not, you might want to say so. If you are, let's all see what YOU got, buddy??? Let's all see what YOU"RE capable of & we'll judge YOUR abilities.

Edited by Sickfish

Eh...it's okay, I guess. I've seen better.

Bwahaha...you've already got people up in arms :D

I guess they don't look at signatures or read other comments ;)

How's it going in FL?

I'm working on my own Jada Camaro...making it a pseudo-Leno car.

I have photos from yesterday of Mike's engine next to an IVECO diesel his roommate is building. ;)

"Eh...it's okay, I guess. I've seen better"...ScrappyJ "

Are you F**KIN serious mate?? If you're not, you might want to say so. If you are, let's all see what YOU got, buddy??? Let's all see what YOU"RE capable of & we'll judge YOUR abilities.

Hey Cliff, these guys basically all know each other.....They all hang around the southern acme club and nnl show and whatnot, and like to solder stuff and spin stuff around on lathes and other fancy equipment and the like.

Perhaps "the scrapster" should have used some smiley emoticons to help show that he was just screwing around...

Sorry if I offended anyone on this board. I was ribbing Mike as he's a good friend of mine and as Jeff said, we all know each other and I'm a member emirtus of the ACME club. Mike and I IM each other, at least, on a weekly basis.

@Jeff...I probably should have used the emitcons, but it would have lost the impact to Mike. Thanks for looking out, though, Jeff!

@Bob- Things are okay. I went back to St. Thomas week before last and am trying to get back in the swing of things.

Later

Edited by ScrappyJ

Guest Sickfish

Guys i'm sorry. I was obviously unaware you were good mates. My foot is well & trully out of my mouth blink.gif My only defense was that i couldn't believe anyone would say something, anything , bad about Mike's build. It's just so friggin' incredible!!! Dirk i wasn't offended mate, i thought Mike would be & well...you know the rest. I checked out your fotiki site & obviously you & Mike are both incredible builders with HUUUGE talent!!

Once again guys.....i'm sorry! smile.gif

Cheers, Cliff!

Hello Mr. Mike, we have never met, but I do think that we have a friend in common...Dirk Joseph. Dirk has been the reason I have tried and I want emphasize the use of the word "tried", to bring my modeling to a higher level. Dirk is the reason for my purchasing a Sherline lathe/mill, I have built a pressure/vacuum tank for resin casting my own parts, I have built a vacuum forming box, paint booth and have just started my first complete brass tube chassis (going under a 1970 Toyota Corolla drag car) etc. Dirk first mentioned you (and he always had good things to say) when you were fortunate enough to have obtained the lathe of the great Augie Hiscano. I have watched your posts over the years and I will say this....your skills as a machinists in such a short period of time exhibits such a level of professionalism that it is truly outstanding! The items that really peak my interest are things such as your planning, the way your worked is secured ( I really like the collet in the block that can be secured in the vise), the way you machined the sine blocks (the blocks themselves are beautiful) for the angles in the engine, the way you use terms as "qualified" and the reason why it is needed, the .125 linen phenolic, I have no idea what this is but I totally understand the concept behind using it, the use of nickle and brass etc. etc. It is very clear that you have had some professional training in machining, design, CAD and probably CNC. The reason why I say this is because your work speaks for itself AMAZING!!!!!! I have no qualms about saying this...you my friend have become a serious, serious force to be reckoned with and in my humble opinion with what I have seen here...one of this country's BEST MODEL CAR BUILDERS....amazing work.

PS. where could I sign up when you decide to teach your own classes on the subjects I mentioned above, or put out some DVDs.....I'm serious!!!!

Jay, thank you for one of the most humbling comments I have ever received. Dirk is a great guy and I have learned a lot from him, you're lucky to live so close. I really do not know what to say except thank you for the kind remarks, it truly is honoring and humbling.

I told Dirk to invite you to our Southern NNL in November, it would be great for you to come and bring your work. I would like to meet you someday.

Eh...it's okay, I guess. I've seen better.

What was I saying about Dirk being a great guy? I take that back.

Guys i'm sorry. I was obviously unaware you were good mates. My foot is well & trully out of my mouth blink.gif My only defense was that i couldn't believe anyone would say something, anything , bad about Mike's build. It's just so friggin' incredible!!! Dirk i wasn't offended mate, i thought Mike would be & well...you know the rest. I checked out your fotiki site & obviously you & Mike are both incredible builders with HUUUGE talent!!

Once again guys.....i'm sorry! smile.gif

Cheers, Cliff!

No worries, Cliff. Dirk and I go back several years; we have a sick sense of twisted humor. Thanks for the compliments.

I went up to a friends over the weekened to work on models while we watched the 24 Hours of Rolex Daytona and managed to get some work done on the engine. I added some 1/32" tubing to the side of the block for the coolant to flow through. I also did work on the seat and right side door frame, but nothing worth posting yet.

img8727p.jpg

img8725v.jpg

I needed a new desktop, so I assembled what has been completed so far (which isn't much) and took a couple shots.

img8761z.jpg

img8758z.jpg

Thanks for looking.

You got it Mike and yes Dirk, has also taught me so much. As a matter of fact I will be over his house tomorrow trying to absorb as much as I can. Just one question, your block is 6061 correct? because in the last pics it almost looks like all brass. Dirk has been trying to get me to the Atlanta NNL for years now but it has always been a time issue for me but maybe one day and hopefully I will get the opportunity to meet you.

Edited by BKIN10SECS

Looking great as usual. Can I get some more detail on how to do those door frames?

Jason, the door frames are quite simple really; they're just built out of various sized strips of styrene. The main shape of the door frame was cut out of .015" styrene sheet, then strips ranging from .010x.020" to .100x.125" were used to build up the structure. Some brass rod was used in the B-Pillar to aid in holding its bent shape. If you flip back a couple pages you can see that I used .100x.125" strip styrene for the rocker area and drilled holes in it on the mill.

Hope that helps.

You got it Mike and yes Dirk, has also taught me so much. As a matter of fact I will be over his house tomorrow trying to absorb as much as I can. Just one question, your block is 6061 correct? because in the last pics it almost looks like all brass. Dirk has been trying to get me to the Atlanta NNL for years now but it has always been a time issue for me but maybe one day and hopefully I will get the opportunity to meet you.

Jay, the block is machined primarily out of nickel silver. Nickel silver is a form of copper/silver alloyed brass, sometimes referred too as white brass. Some of the pieces are machined out of regular 360 cartridge brass. The parts out of 360 brass are parts that are not "wear" surfaces or surfaces that will remain unpainted. The nickel silver polishes out to a nice stainless steel color so the cylinder bores, crank journals, block deck, etc, once completed will look similar to a real engine and I wont have to worry about paint being scraped off from the motion of the pistons and crank.

"I wont have to worry about paint being scraped off from the motion of the pistons and crank".

GET OUT......"motion of the pistons and crank":P Is the nickle silver costly and are there any advantages over 6061 as far as machining is concerned.

Edited by BKIN10SECS

"I wont have to worry about paint being scraped off from the motion of the pistons and crank".

GET OUT......"motion of the pistons and crank"B) Is the nickle silver costly and are there any advantages over 6061 as far as machining is concerned.

Nickel silver is not cheap compared to other metals. A 6" piece of 3/8"x3/4" bar stock is about $20. However, with the cost the advantage is having a part that is silverish in color and is able to be soldered. I had considered machining it out of 6061 but soldering 6061 is difficult, at best. Since I decided to machine the block out of multiple pieces, I decided to use something I can solder the other parts to. If I did the block out of 6061, I could glue the parts to it, but I just don't like the idea of gluing metal; it's not very resilient.

Machining nickel silver appears to be easy, but it takes a lot to get a nice surface finish. It galls really easily, do your speed has to by high and your feed has to be slow and consistent. Don't bother using a tool that's been used before, it will just gall badly and make a mess.

6061 is a lot easier to machine, but for this application, nickel silver is better suited. As stated, the main advantage of nickel silver over 6061 is its easy to solder.

Hope that helps, Jay.

Edited by GTmike400

Thanks for the great compliments, gents.

I haven't had much time to do any work on the model since I have been rather busy with work and classes. However, I thought I should post what the block should look like once completed. Today at work I did a quick rendering of the 3D model I made to design the block.

blockrender1.jpg

blockrender2.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to go into the shop and get some machining done on some jigs and fixture plates!