Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snap 359-in Progress

I started this one last summer as just a project to tinker with between other builds. It's the Revell Snap 359, with some modifications. Many Revell AG 359 parts were used. The old Black Magic and Black Widow kits. There have been a few struggles, but overall, these two kits go together very well. Not pictured are the RevellAg tanks. I have stripped the tanks, and sanded the seams. Not sure if they will be body color or Alclad polished aluminum yet. I can't decide.

4 starters, I swapped in pretty much the entire Revell AG rear suspension . Shock mounts have been scratchbuilt.

100_0871.jpg

Under the hood you can see the Revell AG steer axle and steering gear box. The shaft is K and S brass tube. The engine, which still needs more details, is(or will be when I'm finished) a Silver 92 Detroit from AMT's KW K100 Aerodyne. After finding a real Silver 92 powered 359 @ the Truck Paper's website, I saw it had a single air cleaner, but on the driver's side, so I made that change as well.

100_0882.jpg

100_0880.jpg

With a just little grinding, the Revell Ag visor fits this cab nicely.

100_0616.jpg

Here is my headliner and overhead console when first installed. They were created by cutting the roof of a Revell AG cab, and grinding it down from the outside until I could fit it inside this cab. The overhead console is made of other interior scraps.

100_0732.jpg

Now for the painted interior pieces. The color is tamiya flat blue. I still have some things to do, but this interior was a bit of an experiment for me. I never went this far detailing an interior. Using several 359 brochures, memories of a blue 359 wrecker I saw in person with this exact interior, and what I have at my disposal, I came up with this.

It still needs visors, but here is my overhead. I cut away the CB radio that is molded to the bottom of the kit's dashboard and discarded it. Instead, an AMT CB with BMF on its face went up to the overhead. The stereo is from the KFS "Cab Junk" photo etch set. As to the air horn cord, I'm not sure of the material, but it was sent to me by Win Hill(thanks Win ;) ). He used it for the same purpose on a truck he built.

100_0859.jpg

The interior tub and dash come from the kit. The seats, steering wheel, gearshift, and upper rear wall came from RevellAG. The floor and lower door panels are "carpeted" with a material I found in an ad in SAE years ago. It's a bit thick, though. The used and abused road atlas is another KFS "Cab Junk" item. It just comes as the outer cover spread open. I cut a strip of paper to size and folded it for the illusion of pages, then folded the atlas cover around them. The steering wheel holes were drilled out, and the upper surfaces of the seats were my attempt at using paint to achieve the cloth/crushed velvet look. Darker shades of blue were dry-brushed over the lighter blue.

100_0858.jpg

Thanks for looking. I will post more later

Edited by FlatbedKW

Thanks Jim. This engine drops in nicely. Just cut the tabs on the frame and move them forward just a hair. You don't have to modify the air cleaner, but the one I found online was that way, so I figured why not. I will send my engine pix of that truck to you. It's an in '84 daycab 359 that's for sale. Hopefully they will help. If you look at MMTA's website, you will see Silver 92 in a Pete. It shows a right side air cleaner. You can see how the intake pipe is run. I do want to try to make the more updated vavle covers for this engine that you will see in the pix. The edges don't have the soft curve like the kit engine I used. We'll see.

I was going to spray a coat of primer on my hood when inspiration struck. I whipped out my trusty Dremel and I removed the flat section from the front of the hood where the grille snaps into place, and I trimmed the grille out as well. It already has a dramatic effect on its appearance. I have some grille material that resembles the real thing, and that will be used to fill in the grille.

100_0884.jpg

100_0887.jpg

• 1 month later...

I haven't done much of anything to this one in over a month. I'm trying to perfect my bodywork techniques. To review, I'm keeping it to a single air cleaner, just moved to the driver's side. Also, I filled in the tab holes on the cab and sleeper. I'm just happy to be in the primer stage with it.

100_0953.jpg

100_0954.jpg

100_0957.jpg

Nice job. I had thought about doing the grill, but was unsure of how strong the spars would be.

Any luck on the sleeper? ;)

I knew I forgot something. Yes, I have a sleeper for the RevellAG 359. I have the silver one from the recent re-issue, but it's at home. Next time I get home, I'll send it your way. Pm me your address when you get a chance. The grille spars are strong enough.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The main color on this will be a dark metallic gray.

JimB:I know you had an idea of doing a V8 detroit in a Snap Pete kit. Here's 2 pix you might like from an '84 daycab 359.

S7300218.jpg

S7300196.jpg

Edited by FlatbedKW

• 1 year later...

It's been forever since I updated this one. I painted it when I was home last time, and had so much going on I forgot to post pix. So , here she is with the main color. The stripes will be added as soon as I know all body work is done. I think you'll like the paintjob when it's complete. The color is Duplicolor Medium Gray Metallic lacquer. DSGM347.

Cab and air cleaner.

100_2506.jpg

Air cleaner, visor, and firewall.

100_2509.jpg

I decided to go with painted tanks on this one. I managed to get rid of the hideous seam on the tank ends, with a LOT of work.

100_2513.jpg

Passenger side of the hood.

100_2511.jpg

Driver's side during repair to the hood. I didn't cut the air cleaner opening quite right and needed to reshape it.

100_2250.jpg

I got it fairly close.

100_2252.jpg

However, after painting, the putty shrunk a little, so I will have to correct that. I think the stripes will cover that portion of the hood when they are on, so hopefully, after some more reshaping, it won't be visible under the stripe.

100_2505.jpg

I also went with the updated, more boxy valve covers as well.

100_1538.jpg

Detroit Diesel 8V-92!! WoooHoo! I can almost hear it screaming! So, if you're using the Black Magic's suspension, I suppose you are going to use that kit's wheels and tires as well?

Up on the steer axle I will be. On the drives, I'm not sure. Also present are parts from Revell AG's Black Widow Pete which had included 2 hole rear wheels. I stripped the chrome and they are molded in white plastic. I want to use them, but with a tire that looks more like a drive tire.