Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Volkswagen Kombi 10/29/17 1:1 photo

Foxer

This is a WAAYYY old thread. Is there any recent progress? A while back, I posted a thread about my frustration with works in progress that vanish into thin air and I got roundly slammed for it. This sort of stuff is really irritating after you get into following a build.

It doesn't matter how long the WIP thread goes, as long as there's progress. I love build journals and the opportunity for give-and-take, and exchange of information. But there are a lot of WIP threads here that go nowhere. Here's one that works and has gone on forever, but it's continually updated and loaded with information:

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/large-scale-cars/6477-1-8-gt40-mk1-ford-scratchbuilt-why-not.html

I just noticed this post and I apologize for the way I work, Skip. :D Some of us don't worry about WHEN we finish a project as long as we're having fun. Things change and parts fly. Many things switch us between projects. This one WILL come back some time .. when I get the urge. B) I hate painting, so that's what really stopped this one.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Check it out ... I moved the body from shelf by computer to down on shelf in front of bench. Took less than a week and I sanded down VW circle so I can put the Revell VW logo there and filled the side door handle indent ... this was not there in '56. I also started moving the side door hinges to mid window height for the '56. The filled roof windows were starting to ghost the paint so I did a little smoothing on them. Now I have to repaint.

56VW Kombi Mockup DSC9662

door hinge VW DSC 2060

These are a Bondic cast of the Revell logo I'll put on this bus.

VW Logo DSC 1541

VW Logo DSC 1543

Edited by Foxer

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 5:23 PM, Greg Pugh said:

Also, don't forget that the engine lid is flat. There is no protrusion/flange that comes out above the license plate.

56-splitscreen-for-sale.jpg

Nice color on that one!  ;)

I think I did get that lip off, the last pic in primer was an old one. I will double check. :)

... looks like it went under the sanding stick.

On 10/30/2017 at 5:23 PM, Greg Pugh said:

image.png.d5e372f8f9ba419e54cd12d989817574.png

Edited by Foxer

2 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

Nice work, I am working on one myself from 1963 21 window.  Yours is real nice, the corner windows are tricky to cover in.

Are you using the beautiful Revell kit?

I used the thickest sheet I could and still bend it smoothly. Now I can't remember what it was.

image.png.4d5a34915a48d181378b9807729840a7.png

Yes I am using the Revel kit also.  I made the front seat a walk throw and the second row seats 2 instead of a full bench and third row is a regular full bench.  I am also doing a full interior, even made home made air deflectors on the rear quarters.  I will keep watching your build, looking good. 

• 1 year later...

Nice... and you have been working on it almost as long as mine has been sitting in the box.  LOL  The slotted wheels, I've discovered that is an issue when back-dating VWs.  I just ordered wheels from Best Model Car Parts, I got the '57 Beetle conversion last year, inquired about getting wheels and engine lid, he was willing to do my special order.