Model Cars Magazine Forum

Willys Gasser

noname

The kit is the Revell Street Rod kit. The Cragars are from the Rat Packer.

Yes use my inner door panel panel idea . They are taken from a photo of a 1:1 Willys so are pretty correct.

The slots came from one of the Willys Gasser kits I believe.

To dull the tires I dipped them in alcohol for a while but got better results when I got the bright idea of rubbing them with toothpaste. Toms of Maine to be exact but I'm sure it doesn't matter. I'm thinking it's the baking soda.

or, what i do is i take some of the fine steel wool and rub em for a couple seconds real good, thats what i do with ny tires

Dave, I actually went at the axle last night. I got it just a smidge more narrow than the modern front suspension that comes with the kit so it should be good ( I hope ). All I did was cut the spindles off, trimmed each end and glued the spindles back on. Hope it works and hope the CA glue holds. I hate to hack things up like this but I didn't have any decent spare drop axles.

Thanks for your interest guys. :D

The kit is the Revell Street Rod kit. The Cragars are from the Rat Packer.

Yes use my inner door panel panel idea . They are taken from a photo of a 1:1 Willys so are pretty correct.

The slots came from one of the Willys Gasser kits I believe.

To dull the tires I dipped them in alcohol for a while but got better results when I got the bright idea of rubbing them with toothpaste. Toms of Maine to be exact but I'm sure it doesn't matter. I'm thinking it's the baking soda.

can u give me a link to that 1:1 willys were abouts in Canada do u live?

Here is the Willys. Ever seen one before? B)

IMG_4817.jpg

Yup... Seen one before... I've also had the Willys before. I saw this lot lizard at a truck stop one time...:o:lol:

I think the wheels are done. Tried to take the sheen off the tires and dull the aluminum Alclad on the rims. Added valve stems. Let me know what you think.

IMG_4856.jpg

Love the Build!!! But I gotta ask... Where did you get the wheels from? I've been trying to find a set for several years now, and I've had no luck. Please tell me!!!

Other than the question, it's looking great!!!

You can get these wheels from the John Mazmanian or Stone, Woods and Cook Willys kits ( Revell ). Far as I know these kits are the only p[lace you can get these tires and rims. I may have seen similar rims in resin somewhere but not sure where. Some purdy ain't thay.

My paint had dried up I usually use for engines and I don't have a spray can close enough. So...out came the artist acrylics. A little rough texture but I'll try sanding it. I'll wait till I weather it before I be too critical. A little black wash here and paint chip there may bring it around. Sometimes you have to use what you have and I don't live near a hobby shop.

IMG_4968.jpg

Well I had the engine looking pretty good and then I went a little too far with it. So I stripped the paint off of it. I will try to get some decent engine paint in the next week or two. I had fit issues with the engine hitting the frame and the alternater hitting the inside of the fender. Well lets just say I took care of it. Part of this is that the engine will have a fan and belt but no alternater, just a belt with two pulleys. I think this is believable. The vehicle would be push started but would still have a cooling system. What do you think?

I added coil springs to the rear and weathered the underneath. The interior will also be weathered. Things happen to vehicles when they sit around right.

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

Everything looks a bit red in this lighting.

*snip*the engine will have a fan and belt but no alternater, just a belt with two pulleys. I think this is believable. The vehicle would be push started but would still have a cooling system. What do you think?

Many race cars run with a battery only, and no alternator to re-charge it...but you do need (well, should have) a water pump if the car is running a full cooling system with upper and lower hoses and a radiator. If it's a full-race car, you could get away with no radiator and eliminate the water pump entirely.

Do you know what the tranny on the top is?

Guessing by the Chrysler Hemi engine in front of it and the shape of the case, I'm going to say it's a 727 TorqueFlite.

It's a rare sight to see both a water pump and supercharger belt on the same engine, since the water pump almost always interferes with the blower belt's usual path. Add an idler pulley and a longer blower belt, and problem solved.

Thats right Casey, a 727. I wanted to use one of those push button shifters. Now I see there is going to be a fit problem as the tranny is wider. Hopefully a little grinding of the firewall will take care of that. The transverse leaf spring set up has been a problem all along with the engine fitting. Maybe thats why you don't often see one on a Willys. Oh well, I wanted to do something different. It's my nature. :lol:

Well I never got anywhere to get engine paint so I used that Duplicolour again. I have to get moving on this engine.

In the meantime I've been picking at the interior. Made one of those push button shifters ( don't know if there is a proper name for them ). I tried to make it look like some paint chipped off of it. I hope it worked.

IMG_5040.jpg