Model Cars Magazine Forum

Non Formula One Fans Need Not Look Here

This is just so typical…I have like 5 projects going and I just hit on another one that I really want to do.

This saga dates back to 1976 when I built the Tamiya 1/12th scale Tyrrell P34 six wheel car. I really enjoyed that build and the 1/12th sale car just fell together. When we moved out of our first house, I (like a fool) gave all of my F1 1/12th scale builds to the kid next door. I was into HO trains and 1/12th scale builds are just “so bigâ€. Then about 10 or 12 years ago I did the same car in 1/20th scale. I made the four front wheels steer on this one because the 1/12th scale kit had movable front wheels so I wanted it for the 1/20 kit. 4241785419_89f5101c70.jpg

It is a nice kit with the exception of the decals which were not up to Tamiya usual standards. I have since found an aftermarket supplier of more opaque ones so if it is possible, I will decal them over the Tamiya ones, but that is not the point of this post.

About 18 months ago, Tamiya came out with a new version of the famed P34 Tyrrell 6 wheeler from the 1977 season. 4241790321_608eec9dca.jpg

It is basically the same car with a new sponsor and slightly different cowling. I bought it, but was disappointed to see that it did not have the fully revised cowling, but a revision of the old cowling with the new paint scheme and sponsor logos. 4241789977_6c1d623b9e.jpg

Apparently, Tyrrell ran 3 races in the 1977 season with this version of the cowling, one of them being the 1977 Monaco GP which is the version this kit depicts.

That is all fine and dandy, but this is not the version of this car that I wanted. I wanted the full cowl version… 4242562870_b99c80ea2b.jpg

the one that completely covers the engine and has that more rounded look on top of the famous blue angular bottom. 4242562798_ef2e5801ae.jpg

4241790061_1859baf48a_o.jpg

The other day I took many of my old cars, including my F1 builds out to photograph them manly so I would have a digital record of most all of my builds. I put some on the gallery and plan to show a few more there when I have time.

I had the Tyrrell P34 out and I was admiring the car and the technical brilliance of the 6 wheel design when I thought I would look on the internet to see what sites are saying about this car. Sure enough, I found pictures of the ’77 body with the more rounded cowling. I dragged out the un-built kit I have of the Monaco version car and right there on the spot it hit me. If I wanted the proper cowling for the car, why not build it myself? And the Vacuum form process would be absolutely perfect for this conversion.

So I sat down and with the aid of my built 1976 version, the 1977 un-built version and pictures on the internet, I drew out the plan, in the proper 1/20 scale. 4242563380_bf3da81f35.jpg

I ran off to the hobby shop to pick up a piece of balsa wood, the proper size, and now I will build wooden bucks of the new front wing (can’t really call it a wing, it looks more like an up side down shovel), new front bulkhead and then new rounded complete driver and engine cowling. I think this will be reality easy to do. Then my brother and I can design the new curved sponsor graphics in the computer, cut them from vinyl and this should be good to go. It appears, from the detail photos on the internet that the front wing and bulkhead pieces just sit on top of the existing skin. They are sitting about 2 ½ inches above the current skin.

Now I realize that F1 projects get very little attention on this forum, and I get it…you guys like customs, street rods and drag cars….that’s fine, I do too, but I also really like the older 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s F1 cars. I just ordered the new Fujimi 1/20 scale 312T Ferrari, my number one favorite F1 car of all time, so I can’t wait to get into that one.

mmmmmmm yes please...... :D This is one of my all time favorite F1 cars, just the way it was genius and how it got banned....and that Cosworth V8 :huh:

well you got at least me in the "other" category :lol:It's certainly what i'm into here, I think you'd be surprised ;)

Edited by Nick F40

Peter, This is one of those kits I want to get as well. The technical brilliance of it put it over the top. A great addition to any F1 collection I say.

I was not aware of the differences you mentioned but the pictures certainly show it.

I look forward to seeing you get this out. I suspect it will look as awesome as your other stuff.

Chris

Ok... so what exactly were they trying to prove with the double set of front wheels? Cuz whatever it was, it sure didn't work, apparently.

The rules dictated a max tire width but not the number of tires at the front. So the thinking was more rubber on the road and they were small diameter to gain a lower front profile(less wind resistance etc.) The car did win. Also if it rained the front set could be a rain tire which would clear a path for a dry set right behind it.

Oh Harry, I beg to differ with you. The 6 front wheel concept was actually very sound and did have a number of advantages. The “standard†front wheel of an F1 car, being exposed to the air, caused a great deal of unwanted lift. In order to counter that lift, designers added more “wing†or down force which translated to more drag which equaled a lower speed. And in F1, speed is determined down to the 100th of a second, so it all matters. Further, the additional wheels (2 extra) provided more “tire patch†and any race car driver knows, the tire patch is the most important aspect of a car.

Regardless of horsepower or braking power, all forces developed by the vehicle are transmitted to the road in that “tire patchâ€. More tire patch, more braking and better adherence to the road in turns. The cars actually did very well considering their awkward appearance. Every thing Mark said is right on target. It was a combination of the tires (smaller fronts) not getting the attention in advancements that they needed because on Tyrrell was using them. As the other tires got more attention, the small 10 inchers of Tyrrell fell technically behind.

Also, Michelin had entered the fray and Goodyear was more worried about that then maintaining the 10 inch tires for Tyrrell. As the development waned with these tires, Tyrrell was forced to make adjustments to the track, making the front wider tracked to combat the tires technical shortcomings.

Reluctantly, by 1978, Tyrrell realized that the 6 wheel platform would no longer be competitive and abandoned the idea to run with conventional set ups.

But, the P34 has its place in history and it is unique ideas like this that continue to push the envelope of technology.

If I pull this off, which I believe I will, I will provide sets of the body modifications for anyone who wants them (there can’t be that many of you guys out there) for shipping and the cost of the plastic sheet (my cost is a whole whopping $1.00 a sheet). Lets see how this turns out first…if they look good, you can have one.

Seems to me that if the technology actually was sound, it would have been been picked up by other teams, and especially pushed by the tire manufacturers, who, let's face it, could sell MORE racing tires!) and not relegated to the F1 dustbin.

For all the supposed "benefits" of the setup, what about the increased complexity (more parts to break during a race), the added weight (when you're counting speed to the 100th of a second every ounce counts), etc.

Kind of reminds me of the Reeves "Octo Auto," which also didn't last...

1911reevesoctoautousa-03.jpg

As we always hear, automotive technology is often discovered/tested/proven on the race course before it ever hits the consumer market. The fact that this fad came and went in a relative blink of an eye speaks volumes. Still, an interesting oddball footnote in racing history, and a pretty unique model.

Great project you are undertaking. I love the F1 cars from the seventies and eighties. I have a kit of that updated '77 Tyrell done in 1/32 scale by Matchbox. I also remember seeing a resin version some time ago, although it may have been in 1/24 scale. Frank Williams also had a six wheeler, but the tandem was in the rear. I don't know if it was ever raced in competition, but the car was photographed at a vintage F1 event some years ago (I believe at Laguna Seca in CA). Good luck.

I like F-1 cars, especially from the 1960s and 70s, and actually saw this Tyrrell at the Long Beach Grand Prix in the 70s, quite interesting. I haven't built any F-1 models yet (haven't built any car models for over 40 years :() but I'm getting back into it now and definitely plan to do some F-1's. Don't know if any kits are available for 60s cars, will have to check the hobby shops etc. If you do some body parts please let us know. Thanks