Model Cars Magazine Forum

Durachrome Bug

John Teresi

Hello......I started with a resin body and decals that I bought off Ebay.......removed the spoiler on the roof......I used the Wild Wille Borsh chassis......scratch built tins.....scratch built rear spoiler.......wired and plumbed using reference pictures......H.O.K. candy apple red with black fogging.

DSCF5958.jpg

DSCF5955.jpg

DSCF5976.jpg

DSCF5982.jpg

DSCF5964-1.jpg

DSCF5972.jpg

Edited by JOHN TERESI

Thats an awesome paint job and great engine detail...I was curious why the blower hat is facing backwards, thats interesting!

Ron

Some drag cars ran the blower hat backwards in the 60`s........this one did,but didn`t run very good.

Very Sweet Build. Nice detail and great looking paint. Is this a 1/25 or 1/16 scale?

This is a 1/24 scale.thank`s

Me too. Was that some sort of "innovation" back in the day? And if so, what's the idea behind it?

vw2.jpg

Harry.....nice picture......I also made that version of the bug......I`ll post it soon......I really don`t know why they ran the blower hat backwards......but it was like that in the reference pictures I used......I also made the "Color Me Gone" charger f/c......it also ran with the blower hat backwards.......when I made these cars I had to take a second look to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me.......maybe someone knows the answer????

Hey John, Great job. I think you did better that I did when I built this car. This is actually the second version with the 5 spoke front wheels. Most of the magazine shoots were of the first chassis and the original paint job. We cut the roof spoiler off and added the rear spoiler trying to get rid of some of the handling problems about half track. Not sure it helped but it looked cool. I don't think we ever ran the injector hat backwards but even I don't remember from 40 years ago! I'll look at some of my photos to check it out.

Again a wonderful job. Build another and I'll provide more info and a handsome purchase price.

Warren Gunter

They were trying the backwards scoops for a little bit. I remember seeing this car at Minnesota dragways. This gas car was run by members of the Gopher State Timing Association and I believe they won a best appearing car award at the Indy Nationals.

gstatwin-vi.jpg

ok, they tried running with the scoops backwards... but why??? The whole point is to ram as much air into the opening as possible, which is why you want the opening in the front! Turning it around so that the opening is in the back makes no sense whatsoever.

This is YET another great build John. Why don't you take pix of your current project/s so we can see how you arrive where you do?

Most of us post "in progress" pix. It helps us to see how each of us differs in our approaches to similar tasks.

Just an idea.

This sure looks sweet!

Bob

Hey John, Great job. I think you did better that I did when I built this car. This is actually the second version with the 5 spoke front wheels. Most of the magazine shoots were of the first chassis and the original paint job. We cut the roof spoiler off and added the rear spoiler trying to get rid of some of the handling problems about half track. Not sure it helped but it looked cool. I don't think we ever ran the injector hat backwards but even I don't remember from 40 years ago! I'll look at some of my photos to check it out.

Again a wonderful job. Build another and I'll provide more info and a handsome purchase price.

Warren Gunter

Warren.....thank you for nice comments......I do have reference pictures that I used to make this model and one photo shows the blower hat backwards ......I will post the picture......I would be honored to make you a model ......I have made the "wagon Master" for Tommy Ivo.....and the Chuck Poole wheelstander for Mr. Poole........If you are interested I will give you a fair price ......I would just need to have good reference pictures of the chassis and engine detail......I only had a few pictures to go buy.......the more photos I have the better the model will be........P.M me and I can send you pictures of some of the work I do......I would like to get a autograph from you if possible......Thank`s John

ok, they tried running with the scoops backwards... but why??? The whole point is to ram as much air into the opening as possible, which is why you want the opening in the front! Turning it around so that the opening is in the back makes no sense whatsoever.

I am not sure but it was just on supercharged cars which don't really need a ram effect. Maybe they were catching too many bugs. I did read that one dragster back then did catch a bird in his injector scoop! Ultimately it was just another thing that people tried but it didn't make any difference.

John,

I have articles on the Durachrome bug which I can scan and post if you want.

We did run the scoop backwards on the second car towards the end of the tour. The scoop was below the top of the hood. It seemed to make more sense to have the air go into the windshield opening and turn forward into the scoop. Otherwise if the scoop was facing forward the air had to go back forward and then turn again into the scoop. The engine was much lower on the second chassis than the first. I had a small gas pump on-board that primed the engine and I also controlled the on-board starter from inside. Most of the time it was just Steve Harris and me so we needed to simplify everything we could.

post-1448-12668842338952_thumb.jpg

We did run the scoop backwards on the second car towards the end of the tour. The scoop was below the top of the hood. It seemed to make more sense to have the air go into the windshield opening and turn forward into the scoop. Otherwise if the scoop was facing forward the air had to go back forward and then turn again into the scoop. The engine was much lower on the second chassis than the first. I had a small gas pump on-board that primed the engine and I also controlled the on-board starter from inside. Most of the time it was just Steve Harris and me so we needed to simplify everything we could.

post-1448-12668842338952_thumb.jpg

The air wasn't going to "turn" forward into the scoop. You should have cut an opening along the lower edge of the windshield to allow air into a forward-facing scoop, or raise the scoop opening high enough to clear the lower edge of the windshield. If backwards scoops actually worked, everybody would be using them!

I am not sure but it was just on supercharged cars which don't really need a ram effect.

The whole point of a supercharger is to force air into the combustion chambers at a level above normal air pressure... in other words, to mechanically "ram" the air into the cylinders via the screws inside the housing. Orienting the access hole for the supercharger's air intake to the rear is going to defeat the whole point of a supercharger, which needs to gulp as much air as possible in order for it to have the desired effect.