Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets see your older kits

Some great stuff in this thread! Going forward this could become a good reference source. From my collection, here's one you don't see everyday. Monogram 1/20th '56 Cadillac...

Wow! That is minty fresh! I love the box art on that. It's also amazing that yours is so straight! Is it styrene? I thought that kit came in acetate like the promos. Anyway, I am envious. That is a very cool kit. B)B)

Wow! That is minty fresh! I love the box art on that. It's also amazing that yours is so straight! Is it styrene? I thought that kit came in acetate like the promos. Anyway, I am envious. That is a very cool kit. :lol::lol:

Thanks, Martin. The majority of the Monogram '56 Caddies were molded in styrene, unlike the much more common '55s, molded in shrinkage and warp-prone acetate. I have seen photos of a couple '56s molded in red acetate and they suffered from the same distortion as the '55s. These are really great old kits; it's a shame that every '55 is such an unbuildable disaster and the styrene '56s are so rare. The '56s do occasionally turn up on ebay, usually in builtup condition, and don't seem to bring crazy money, probably because of the less desirable 1/20th scale.

Not mint unbuilt, but rare anyway, AMT 3-in-1 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Sunliner and Club Victoria. The ragtop is an old build in "as found" condition. The hardtop is a nice builtup that has had decals and custom louvers removed, along with the lightly tacked on (for once!) fender skirts, and new chrome on the bumpers by Dale Horner...

Blue58_7-vi.jpg

Blue58_8-vi.jpg

Blue58_9-vi.jpg

Blue58_4-vi.jpg

Blue58_2-vi.jpg

Here is the section of my stash that has most of the older goodies. There is a lot more!

This model is one of my favorites. No wiring no p/e, etc. It was rebuilt from a mild gluebomb. Tamiya paint, replated chrome, original decals. I thought this was a generic dune buggy based on a Manx but one day I was leafing through an old car mag and found an ad for the Sand Shark. It was made by a company in Michigan. I would assume it wasn't far from MPC headquarters.

stash006-vi.jpg

Most of the boxes shown have original kits but some are re-issues in old boxes, a few are empty and some have original gluebombs in them. Nothing for sale! So sorry.........not.

stash001-vi.jpg

stash002-vi.jpg

stash003-vi.jpg

stash004-vi.jpg

stash005-vi.jpg

When it get downs to it, I am an old AMT trophy series guy. I do like kits from all of the companies and especially cool old boxes from any of them. I would love to get more flatbox Monograms.

Since this has turned into an educational thread (and an excellent one, at that) and, on the slight possibility that anyone has missed my several postings of the kit below, here is a history lesson on one very early kit. As noted previously in the thread, there were plastic kits in the late '40's and early '50's, but Ace stayed with the more traditional balsa kits. Building one took a lot of carving and a LOT of sanding sealer. This is an Ace kit of a 1949 Ford that I had built as a kid (about 60 years ago). I found a couple of partial kits on eBay and put together this essentially complete kit:

AceKit.jpg

1949AceJ.jpg

And what happened to the one I built 60 years ago? Check HERE to find out.

I've really been enjoying this thread. Here's a few I haven't seen posted. Believe it or not, I do intend to build these. Nothing is for sale or trade.

collection4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

collection7-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

collection9-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

collection12-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I am building one of these right now.

collection14-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

That Barabus Van has special significance.

collection15-vi.jpgHosted on FotkiScottpartyLR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Scott

Man, this is a great thread. So I figured that I would run up to my room and take a shot of some of my stash. I do not let to many look these days. Use to back in the days of having a model club meeting back when I use to be in a club. I hated everyone telling me that I had to much and I should sell them my kits because after all, they would say, "Your never gonna build them all!" LOL!! Maybe, Maybe not. But the fact is. THEY ARE MINE!!! HA HA HA!!!

Anyways. I am NOT a kit collector. Every one of these kits were bought to build except two. The two Grumpy's Toys. They were "Holy Grails" that I just always wanted because I am such a huge Jenkins fan. The rest. I will build them when I want to. Over the past few years, there have already been a few rare ones come down and get built that are not up there anymore.

modelkits02.jpg

modelkits01.jpg

I just got this one a few weeks ago. I know that it has just been re released. but this box art ROCKS!!! I am Italian so I just love the box. It was given to me by a member of my model building group. I had said I wanted to build one of these, but I did not want all of the reissued kit with the tin. So he came to the build session one day with this and said that I could have it. He had it for years, and he knew that I would build it. I will build it, too. Not one of these kits are for sale, so don't ask! :lol:

modelkits03.jpg

Since this has turned into an educational thread (and an excellent one, at that) and, on the slight possibility that anyone has missed my several postings of the kit below, here is a history lesson on one very early kit. As noted previously in the thread, there were plastic kits in the late '40's and early '50's, but Ace stayed with the more traditional balsa kits. Building one took a lot of carving and a LOT of sanding sealer. This is an Ace kit of a 1949 Ford that I had built as a kid (about 60 years ago). I found a couple of partial kits on eBay and put together this essentially complete kit:

David,

I always had the greatest admiration of the 'early' guys who could actually make something out of a heap of building bricks like this. Put this in front of an 11-year-old today.

Thanks for showing it to us.

Heck Christian, when I was 11 years old, (some 37 years ago), I couldn't have done anything with one of those old wooden kits myself!! :lol:

:lol:

Very true. 37 years ago, I was eight, and around this time, I built my first ever plastic kit. It was an Airfix Ariel Arrow. My father, who is an excellent modeller, albeit he is doing railways, guided me, so it turned out halfways decent actually.

I just imagine putting the unbuilt Ariel I have in front of my daughter, who is 11 now.

Edited by Junkman

Building one took a lot of carving and a LOT of sanding sealer. This is an Ace kit of a 1949 Ford that I had built as a kid (about 60 years ago).

I checked and it is very cool! Thanks for sharing that with us, Dave. It is so very hard to believe that you could possibly be old enough to have been around in the pre-styrene epoch! :D:blink:

I checked and it is very cool! Thanks for sharing that with us, Dave. It is so very hard to believe that you could possibly be old enough to have been around in the pre-styrene epoch! :lol::lol:

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments on the balsa Ace kit. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, Andy, my grandkids are pretty sure I was born before there were dinosaurs..... B):lol:

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments on the balsa Ace kit. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, Andy, my grandkids are pretty sure I was born before there were dinosaurs..... :(:(

Remember those fine dinosaur kits they made when we were young?

• 7 months later...

Bluesmans recent thread reminded me of this thread.

When this thread came up in March I wasn't really aware of older kits.

Suffice it to say I was in awe.I have been interested in older kits since and

this is where I am at with my collection.

Maybe some that didn't participate or new members have some to show.

Some repops,but mostly old unbuilts.

IMAG0593.jpg

IMAG0595.jpg

IMAG0597.jpg

IMAG0598.jpg

Edited by Greg Cullinan