Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back into the hobby.

Hi Everyone...new member here. Well I must admit, that I am blown away at some of the builders works on these boards. I really enjoyed the 62 Catalina buildup that Marcos performed, and the 62 Impala by Len & Bill. I really enjoy the early 60s era muscle car builds the most.

I have not built a model in 15+ years...and I am currently getting some tools and supplies together. So far I an building the same Catalina that Marcos has. The last time I built the car models, there were no air brushes, and foiling, as far as I remember...maybe there was, but, due to not having the internet I did not know. This build is on "hold" right now, as I am awaiting some detail parts in the mail...(etching, foil etc.) I would like to begin the 62 409, but would like to get some nicer, larger tires and slicks for it, as the stock tires are too small.

I recently bought Hubert Platts T-bolt, Pettys 64 Belvedere, a 62 Bel Air 409, and Don Nicholsons 61 Impala, and 64 Ford Galaxie 500 XL (Pro Shop). I really would like to post some pics of the Pontiac, but my camera is terrible at photographing detail. If I can borrow a quality camera, I will post some pics of the Poncho.

This is a really cool site here, and have been looking in on it alot since I joined a few days ago. Already got some great links on here for parts.

well basically I just wanted to introduce myself, and get involved in the model community at MCM. Thanks.

Welcome Tom,

Sounds like your ready to dedicate yourself to the Automotive modelling hobby. B)

You could'ent have found a better place to learn what you need to build great models.

Have fun with it. I do.

Hope to see your poncho soon.

Eddie is cool

Edited by RJWood

Hey Tom,I am in the same boat as you,just getting back into it after a 15yr leave from the hobby,I too am getting the tools n such to get started again.....the hobby sure has changed since you or I have been in it and believe me,just the short time I been a member of this forum I have learned sooooo much and also so many ideas....welcome back to the hobby!!

Welcome Tom! Your gonna like it here. Lotsa knowledgeable guys here who can pret-near answer just about ANY question about models! If someone here CAN'T answer it, there ain't one!!!! Join in and enjoy yourself, it's FUN!laugh.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Edited by george 53

Welcome back into one of the best hobbies around. You have joined a grrrrrreat forum here as the information and inspiration you will recieve is fantastic.

I also haver just recently returned and am amazed at how this hobby has changed.

have a great time.

Thank you for all the welcomes!!! I took two fairly decent pics of the Poncho. Its currently on hold until the interior etching comes in. I would also like to get 4 new outer rims. Looks like someone just twisted these off. It was a used Ebay kit..BTW. I painted them, but they just will not cut it.

Just started my AMT 62 Bel Air 409 today.

Guest Johnny

Tom A you will find that you are not alone! There are a lot of us that have recently came back to modeling after extended time off for one reason or another!

But you will not find a nicer bunch of modelers to hang out with!cool.gif

Tom,

Welcome back!!

As everybody has already stated, this is a great place to hang your hat, and a great place to learn. Lots of us were gone (me 20+ years) but have returned. and this is the best place to catch up and learn about some of the changes in the hobby and the available resources for modelers that we never had/used before. I know it has already helped me and know it will help you as well. Have fun, that part never changed. Good luck!! (Eddie rocks!)

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee