Model Cars Magazine Forum

two car garage

GTMust

I've not yet tried to source out Gatorboard. I'll definitely check it out for the next dio.

I wonder if there are any self stick vinyl floor tiles available that look like concrete? I know there are a lot of other finishes that we could probably use for natural looking surfaces. Great idea, Jim!

I think a trip to the local Lowes or Home Depot is on my schedule... sometime after the craziness of Christmas shopping dies down!

Its all looking great. Shame about the warping thing. Gotta be something to correct it.Learn from the mistakes I guess. They do have tiles that resemble flooring but might be outa scale to a degree. You dont happen to be a house builder do you? Looks good.

You caught me... almost! Actually I spent 20 years in architecture and another bunch of years managing a large constuction company. Before I retired a couple of years ago, I had a small business designing chalets and cottages for high income clients in Ski country. So I do have some experience of construction, even though my two car garage project construction wouldn't meet building codes completely..... modeller's licence!

By the way, nothing has warped .. yet. I'm just a little concerned that it might when it gets a wash applied.

And thanks for the positive comments, guys.

Thats funny. When I saw the way the gables were framed and some of the other work...I had my suspicions. Thats a good thing. I am at the other end. Landscape arch. and designer for 35 years and have worked with builders in all aspects. Work mainly with homeowners now...redesigning, hardscapes,ponds,bridges and whatever it takes. Its good that we can take our work and move it into a hobby. Looking good. By the way...I had warping problems also when I built some out buildings,using wooden stir sticks, for my Dio and whitewashed them with water colors. But the warping kinda gave it that outdoor look. But I did register it in my brain...not to do it again. Anyway...keep on keepin on.

Seems we have similar backgrounds, Terry. But I guess I'm the lucky one, now that I'm retired and have the whole day to do some modellin'. Except, of course, for my wife's "to do" list which seems to get bigger all the time!

I used wooden stir sticks for the fence on my dio. But I glued them to foamboard backing first. Fortunately that seems to have stopped them from warping when I weathered them. The inconsistency of the sticks gives the fence a used look which would be great, as you say, for rustic buildings.

Like you also say, I'll "keep on keepin' on".

Tony

I managed to get a little more done between some other builds and here's the progress:

The upper level has a barrier and the old single car garage gables are showing their age. The stairs are starting to look a little more "used" but will probably see more aging. So far nothing has warped out of shape.

upperlevelfront.jpg

upperlevelrightrear.jpg

I brought my AMT Ford in for an oil change and will get back to working on the '29 Ford chassis pretty soon, I hope!

outsidegaragewithcars.jpg

insidegaragewithcars.jpg

Wonder where I left all my tools....?

Thanks for all the encouraging feedback!

Vizio93: I hope you decide to do a garage dio. I would love to see more ("in progress") dios on this site.

I have no idea right now, how to do the lights. I would like to have a couple of florescent tube lights ander the storage area and even some task lighting at some location where the workbench will go. And then maybe a few more lights hanging from the roof? Maybe a couple outside above the garage doors?

Maybe I find use a remote location for the battery and the incoming "hydro line" can be run from there to a hydro meter on the front of the building somewhere, plus a fuse box inside, and then the interior wiring could be done like in real life? Trouble is, right now, I have no idea how to do all that, so a lot of research (and suggestions) will be needed......... I should also check out the doll house websites, I think?

I've been watching this in silence absorbing all the great ideas. I've been planning a dio for a while now. Pretty much the same kind as this one. However mine was going to be a FULL 2 story with an office/apartment on the second floor. I've had the plans drawn out for a good year, just waiting for funds for all the plastic it's going to need. This one looks awesome and I enjoy looking at all the new updates.

Thanks James.

When I started this dio I had thought to use styrene, but the cost would have been just too much for me. Using the basswood and foamcore (use a really sharp new knife!) made this a very inexpensive build. I got all my supplies from Michael's, using their 40% and 50% discount coupons. Ideas from the forum, especially the foamcore "brickwork", also saved me a lot of money. Even the base was a discarded cupboard door from a junkpile! It's all glued together with cheap school glue from the dollar store and it's as solid as a rock! $1 plastic bottles of acrylic craft paints came from the same source.

With respect, may I suggest you reconsider the styrene/plastic concept. That way you could get started for less than $20. I don't think I've spent more than $20 or $30 on mine yet and I still have a whole load of material left over for the next one.

Just a suggestion. And I would love to see some progress shots!

I plan to use foam core for the garage itself, but I will be using plastruct for the trim and siding. I'm going for a modern look with "vinyl" siding. If I used ALL plastic I'd go bankrupt. ;)

Oh, and I think I have figured out a way to do roll up doors. Once I get sarted on it, if it works the way I see it in my head, I'll post a how-to.

Edited by grimreaper

From my (very brief) experience, foamcore and styrene don't mix well! I haven't found a glue yet that will adhere to both surfaces. "Plastic cement" will destroy foamcore board and white glue won't stick to plastic. I've tried 'UHU', and a bunch of other brand names. Super glue and contact cement also ate the foamcore. If you find a glue that will work for both, please let me know. That's why I've used as little styrene as possible.