Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

Greg Pugh

Ahhh, the joys of a build-thread. Now you all have a front-row seat to my screw up! :angry:

I need some help here fellas. I was unaware that the Metalizer base would only be used for candy paints and metallics...that sorta thing. Not 1970 Ford Grabber Yellow. So now, I need to figure out how to go about this. Should I just scuff up the Metalizer, apply white primer over it and then go to yellow? What grit should I use? Should I use steps and work up in grits? Please Please Please don't tell me that the metalizer has to come off cuz I already sprayed some pieces for my '40 Ford Pickup also. Stuff like the steel wheels and the engine block (stuff that I wouldn't be able to sand). And from what I understand, if I try to strip this back off with brake fluid or a trip to the purple pond, the metalizer will actually laugh at you!! It wont come off.

Ahhh, the joys of a build-thread. Now you all have a front-row seat to my screw up! :angry:

I need some help here fellas. I was unaware that the Metalizer base would only be used for candy paints and metallics...that sorta thing. Not 1970 Ford Grabber Yellow. So now, I need to figure out how to go about this. Should I just scuff up the Metalizer, apply white primer over it and then go to yellow? What grit should I use? Should I use steps and work up in grits? Please Please Please don't tell me that the metalizer has to come off cuz I already sprayed some pieces for my '40 Ford Pickup also. Stuff like the steel wheels and the engine block (stuff that I wouldn't be able to sand). And from what I understand, if I try to strip this back off with brake fluid or a trip to the purple pond, the metalizer will actually laugh at you!! It wont come off.

You should be able to spray primer right over it, but I would do a spoon test just to be sure.

• 3 months later...

Got the black on this afternoon. I know I'm not building this one for myself but I gotta say that I'm not crazy about the black. My wife says it looks cool. What do you guys think? Not that it matters as this is how my friend wants it but.......

Just gotta foil and clearcoat.

48-vi.jpg

49-vi.jpg

50-vi.jpg

51-vi.jpg

• 3 months later...

Got 'er cleared this morning. I'm going to let it sit for a week or so and then give her a nice rub-down. I'm pretty excited to be at this step. It's getting closer!! I also got my taillights finished up. I'm also happy with how this has turned out. It's a huge improvement over the kit-supplied set if you ask me. I still have to get rid of the "1969" license plate and put on copies of his exact plates.

55-vi.jpg

54-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...