Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Daytona Pro Mod 1/16th scale updated 4/3/12 ..It's a wrap!

39 pages and I want even more! Great job, I have all my brass ordered and plenty of cutoff wheels :lol: It might be harder to cut, but soldering the joints saves time as the solder flows around the joint, filling the areas. Can I assume the graph paper squares are 1/4 inch? I think your window frame proves the need for a 1/16 photo etched sheet of promod/drag parts. Window frames, Steering wheels, rotors, rear axle plates x2 for thickness, door levers, etc, etc. This is all big $$$ model building. There seems to be enough people here building 1/16th a have them made. You think you would have used them if they were availible? Even at $20 a sheet, if 50 were made, that's big money. It couldn't cost $1000 could it?

Well had to pull the motor out because I decieded I want to buy the clutch housing from Jim aka Micro Nitro so the hole in the firewall had to be made bigger, fortunately the motor came out in one piece and I wont have to re-plumb anything....

and heres the re-shaped firewall hole...

rearaxle001.jpg

I agree with Chris, you definitely have some scratch building skills... I admire you taking on soldering brass with that head on mentality! Me not so much... a bit outside of my comfort zone.

So on the Bell Housing (Can), keep in mind you don't need a large hole because the CAN isn't suppose to slide in and out of the firewall. The Hole in the Firewall is actually only large enough to mount your Mid Plate and the Converter or Clutch depending on your car. The Bell Housing then mounts solid to the Mid Plate and to the back of the block. I just don't want you cutting a larger hole if not necessary, because you have your chassis all painted up and it looks to nice to have to touch up with paint again! :)

Ummm.. are the order of the pedals reversed in the above picture? or do they floor mount?

Awesome details my friend, awesome work. Thanks for the ongoing lessons!

Hey Johnthe pedel order is correct there just upside down so you can see the tabs I soldered on. Thx for your sincere compliments B)

Rom you are doing some fantastic work man. You have some scratch building skills for sure. It has sure been fun watching this build come together. keep doing what you are doing.

Hey Chris as alway thank you for your support and know that your builds are always a insiration.

39 pages and I want even more! Great job, I have all my brass ordered and plenty of cutoff wheels :lol: It might be harder to cut, but soldering the joints saves time as the solder flows around the joint, filling the areas. Can I assume the graph paper squares are 1/4 inch? I think your window frame proves the need for a 1/16 photo etched sheet of promod/drag parts. Window frames, Steering wheels, rotors, rear axle plates x2 for thickness, door levers, etc, etc. This is all big $$$ model building. There seems to be enough people here building 1/16th a have them made. You think you would have used them if they were availible? Even at $20 a sheet, if 50 were made, that's big money. It couldn't cost $1000 could it?

I totally agree with you Jack a good 1/16th scale P.E. set would make the developer a good piece of change for sure, and I wish you well on your project.

I agree with Chris, you definitely have some scratch building skills... I admire you taking on soldering brass with that head on mentality! Me not so much... a bit outside of my comfort zone.

So on the Bell Housing (Can), keep in mind you don't need a large hole because the CAN isn't suppose to slide in and out of the firewall. The Hole in the Firewall is actually only large enough to mount your Mid Plate and the Converter or Clutch depending on your car. The Bell Housing then mounts solid to the Mid Plate and to the back of the block. I just don't want you cutting a larger hole if not necessary, because you have your chassis all painted up and it looks to nice to have to touch up with paint again! :)

Thanks Bart for making me aware of that and rest assured I wont cut again untill the Can gets here. Also Id like to add that brass building was outside my comfort zone too untill I started this project, This is my first project of this type I learned as I progressed. With that said I'll finish with this statement , I have seen the work you can do and I believe you would excell at brass work you just have to do it. B)

Heres a lil more on the brake cylinder. i was able to get it painted and installed in the car its also partialy plumbed as well. I was also able to get the pedels in place and i'll connect everything up tonight.

I hope you enjoy!

Heres the plumbed and painted brake cylinder

rearaxle015.jpg

you can see in this pic the cylinder installed under the seat.

rearaxle020.jpg

here the pedals have been installed.....

rearaxle021.jpg

oh and I started the fire surpression system...

rearaxle017.jpg

Ill be back very soon with another update..... B)

I can't tell ROM, but is your Mastercylinder mounted under your carbon seat? Based on the picture I am trying to get a bearing on how you have it mounted up. Tell me if I am wrong or not. But it looks like the master cylinder is mounted perpendicular to your brake pedal and not parallel to the direction in which the pedal moves. Am I off base in my understanding of your second to last picture?

Thanks,

I can't tell ROM, but is your Mastercylinder mounted under your carbon seat? Based on the picture I am trying to get a bearing on how you have it mounted up. Tell me if I am wrong or not. But it looks like the master cylinder is mounted perpendicular to your brake pedal and not parallel to the direction in which the pedal moves. Am I off base in my understanding of your second to last picture?

Thanks,

Yep Bart I did mess that one up , and the sad part about that mess up is I know better. I would have never been able to hook up the rod between the pedal and the cylinder. Ill fix it tomarrow and re-post pics thanks for spoting that goof up.

Amazing job Rommel!! As always!!!

Keep showing!!

Hey Thanks Cesar its good to hear from you my brother. And I'll keep showing it as long as you guys will allow me.

Master Craftsman at work here. Rom, this is off the charts and the learning curve on your brass working skills is amazing.

You guys keep saying that but I feel like im flying by the seat of my pants LOL! everything I do is a new experience for me. Thank you for the sincere compliment. B)

Thanks Joe i hope You can get that together,

Dr. David Thank you much for your sincere compliment , but i believe you can do whatever you set out to do.

Big Ed (larry) Brother its good to see you around again ,you and me go way back like two flats on a cadilac (whatever that means :blink: ) Thanks for joining me on yet another build.

I have a small update I was able to put together the double brake system with carbon fiber brake disc (disc from Micro Nitro) I'll plumb it all tomarrow I hope you enjoy.

doublebrakes001.jpg

heres a mock up , actually you wont even be able to see these once the wheel is on , why do I do this to myself.... :huh:

doublebrakes004.jpg

doublebrakes005.jpg

Sorry it so short ill try to have a better update tomarrow im soo sleepy :o