Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 SHELBY GT500

Iron Fist

100_5284.jpg

First off, nice work!!!! A good clean build. Black is hard to pull off, but you did it well. You added some detail and it looks good. The lack of red lenses for the tail lights is unfortunate, but it's what you have to deal with with a lot of older kits. Did you lower that engine at all to get it to clear the hood? The oil pan/filter and lower A-arms are soooo low! A speed bump would wreck a 1:1 like that. :D

I ran into a similar situation with the AMT Studebaker. When I asked folks here, they suggested that it was due to bad kit engineering when they wanted to add posable steering.

005.jpg

First off, nice work!!!! A good clean build. Black is hard to pull off, but you did it well. You added some detail and it looks good. The lack of red lenses for the tail lights is unfortunate, but it's what you have to deal with with a lot of older kits. Did you lower that engine at all to get it to clear the hood? The oil pan/filter and lower A-arms are soooo low! A speed bump would wreck a 1:1 like that. ;)

I ran into a similar situation with the AMT Studebaker. When I asked folks here, they suggested that it was due to bad kit engineering when they wanted to add posable steering.

Thanks, I had to relocate part of the k-member to fit and lower the engine as I used the larger intake manifold.

The tail lights are just taped in from the inside as I may order resin tail lights with red lenes.

Being a Mustang guy (GTMust.... get it?), I really love this car. I had a 1968 Mustang fastback when they first came out in late '67 (Highland green, black interior, 289.... the later '68's switched to the 302 motor I believe..... 3 speed stick). Cost me $3,200 and I still have the bill of sale that I've kept all these years. The car looked identical the the Bullit Mustang even though I had mine before the movie came out. When it did, I went out and bought a set of American Racing Mags and the car really was a head turner.

Ahhhh..... memories!

Sorry.... didn't mean to highjack your thread.... I love what you've done with the build up of one of my favourite cars of all time. My other favourite was a '70 Mach One I also owned.... but that's another story....

Tony

Edited by GTMust

Overall it looks really good, but the plug wire boots on the distributor are odd to me. Is that replicating a specific 1:1 type?

That thing definitely looks good in black.

Thanks for the compliment. The plug wire boots looked out of scale to me also in the picture ,when you see the model in person they don't look that bad, the darn macro function on the camera seems to emphasize any item that is even slightly out of scale.

Also the tail lights look better in person.

Edited by Iron Fist

Being a Mustang guy (GTMust.... get it?), I really love this car. I had a 1968 Mustang fastback when they first came out in late '67 (Highland green, black interior, 289.... the later '68's switched to the 302 motor I believe..... 3 speed stick). Cost me $3,200 and I still have the bill of sale that I've kept all these years. The car looked identical the the Bullit Mustang even though I had mine before the movie came out. When it did, I went out and bought a set of American Racing Mags and the car really was a head turner.

Ahhhh..... memories!

Sorry.... didn't mean to highjack your thread.... I love what you've done with the build up of one of my favourite cars of all time. My other favourite was a '70 Mach One I also owned.... but that's another story....

Tony

Thanks for the compliment, I always like hearing stories about cars people use to have or still have so no worries about hi-jacking.