Model Cars Magazine Forum

Square punches?

Are square punches available anywhere? I've got a set of round punches that are very useful for making round bits from sheet styrene. I've been thinking a similar set for square pieces would be really handy, but I don't recall ever seeing something like that.

I know I can make one by sharpening the end of a piece of square tubing, but that would need frequent replacement, a steel punch would last me a lifetime.

Thanks

Hmmm, I'm not seeing them at Tandy or Micromark, perhaps I'm using the wrong name?

Gregg, were you looking at the corner punches at Micromark maybe? It looks like they can be used to make squares. I may order a few if I can't find actual square punches.

http://www.micromark.com/5and16-Inch-Corner-Punch,7805.html

I have a set of round punches like this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/punches/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

I was hoping someone might make a similar set but square.

If all else fails, you may want to try mortising chisels.

Casey, are you talking about the chisels for a hollow chisel mortiser? They would work with some re-grinding, but the smallest size I know of is 1/4". Also they would be good for making square holes, but not for cutting out square pieces. Seems like what Aaron wants should be available, but I guess you never know.