Model Cars Magazine Forum

always read the directions CAREFULLY when building a model

i do this all the time and im wondering how many of you do the same. when building a model you kinda breeze through the instructions and install a part before it supposed to be and then figure out this should have went in before that.

like today i installed the dashboard on my skyline before i put the bottom half of the roll cage in. not thats a big deal its just the roll cage is a pain in the rear to squeeze in now.

ive also forgot to add things such as mirror glass or something else small. i did onetime build a car that i forgot to install the firewall B)

i know how can you forget to do that right? well ive made stupid mistakes like as im sure all of us has done something all these lines

Edited by wreckless666

Instructions?? What are these intstruction things you speak of?? B):rolleyes::huh:

Seriously though, I do use the instructions most of the time, but have run in to cases like you're talking about time to time, too. The majority of pain in the rear things to get into place usually isn't because I didn't read the instructions, but ever from not wanting something painted the same color as the chassis like shocks if it's a chassis that will be spray painted like a truck frame or race car chassis. Other times it just because I think my way is better that the way the instructions have them ordered.

There are some times I don't use instructions, but those are usually the ones I've built dozens of times in the past like NASCARs.

My biggest problem is occasionally missing parts that look identical, but are in fact, somewhat symmetrical and are mirror images. I'll try putting something together, wonder why it isn't fitting or what I did wrong, and then re-read and find my mistake. Sometimes, those small things are very hard to notice, and occur on parts you wouldn't think of them occurring on.

However, I generally spend 30-45 minutes when I buy a kit going over the basic assembly and familiarizing myself with the parts sequence and layout, and refer to them constantly during construction.

Charlie Larkin

And then there a few kits where if you follow you will get things wrong.....I can think of 5 or 6 recent reviews that pointed out wrong or vague placement .....

Yeah, I saw in the '55 Chevy hardtop instructions where they instructed the builder to glue the power steering pump onto the rear of the generator! :P I noticed it on the box photos and just had to look it up to see if it was on the instructions,and sure enough,there it was. I don't think power steering was even available in '55?? There are a couple or more other Revell kits with the power steering pump mounted onto the generator. ^_^

Yeah, I saw in the '55 Chevy hardtop instructions where they instructed the builder to glue the power steering pump onto the rear of the generator! :P I noticed it on the box photos and just had to look it up to see if it was on the instructions,and sure enough,there it was. I don't think power steering was even available in '55?? There are a couple or more other Revell kits with the power steering pump mounted onto the generator. ^_^

Power steering first became available on Chevys in 1953 or '54.

As to the placement of the pump....I had wondered about that, myself.

Charlie Larkin

Actually the power steering pump was driven off the rear of the generator (just like the model)on '55-'58? Chevy V8s :(

The 55 kit also wants you to put the oil filter in some kind of funny can on top of the motor when everybody knows it should be on the bottom :D

1955-chev-engine.jpg

Back to the original post- following the instructions exactly does lead to errors and inaccuracies- the AMT Road Runner horn and wiper motor being mixed up, they've got the '71 Charger valve covers going on the wrong side, etc. type errors are pretty well documented on the board. I end up kitbashing enough to make instructions almost useless and they often wind up in an "instruction sheet drawer" rather than finding their way back to an opened or started kit

Edited by ChrisPflug

one of the first things i do when i get a new kit is open it up and read the directions, just to see what is all in the kit

why, i just got the revell 67 GTX and it was nothing like i expected

when i first got back into modeling (some 10 years ago) this kit (with the tom daniels boxart) was on the shelves and i have always expected it to be an older kit with outdated tooling and classic MPC detailing (read none)

i liked the kit and wanted it but never really got myself to buy it because of the preconcieved notions i had on this kit

well, yesterday i finally bit the bullet

i am building a 67 GtX for the hotwheels in 1/25th scale community build and this was the perfect excuse to buy this kit

well, a quick glance at the instrutions showed me how wrong i was about this kit, here's a small list of parts in this kit i was surprised to see

a dome light

an alternator WITH A BRACKET

a steering box

a set of chromed doorhandles

and the decal sheet is great too, it even has the white letter decals for the tires on it

If you want a "preview" of a kit that isn't reviewed here many instruction sheets can be found online

The '67 Coronet/Charger/GTX is a great kit

funny thing about that GTX

it came with 2 sets of door panels BOTH of which had the right numbers (as listed in the instructions)

i checked the tree the wrong set is on (its pretty clear these would not work with a back seat) and found that there are 3 parts on that tree that are nowhere else in the kit and have the right numbers on them

there are also 2 wheel backs that have the WRONG numbers and 2 pieces i am not even sure what they are that do not show up in the instructions at all

any thoughts ?

it came with 2 sets of door panels BOTH of which had the right numbers (as listed in the instructions)

i checked the tree the wrong set is on (its pretty clear these would not work with a back seat) and found that there are 3 parts on that tree that are nowhere else in the kit and have the right numbers on them

there are also 2 wheel backs that have the WRONG numbers and 2 pieces i am not even sure what they are that do not show up in the instructions at all

any thoughts ?

Sounds like the kit tooling is shared with several versions. I have the Sox & Martin car, but I believe it was also released as a factory stock.

Even if a few kits had bogus info on the instruction sheet, it would still be a huge minority. Most kit instructions are quite useable, or can be understood well enough so any competent builder could solve any problem. I mean, one of the gifts from model building is problem solving, right?

And then there is the childhood to adult transition. What worked as a kid, doesn’t mean it will, or even should work as an adult. Chucking the instructions aside; picking parts off runners at random, rushing to get a model finished before supper, and basically building without a plan are all errors that should be avoided. Any build that is rushed will usually show it.

any thoughts ?

I've got pretty much all the kits in this "family" at home but am away and can't check specifics but R-M commonly leaves extra parts on trees when for use in different versions of the same basic kit and seems to tend to add rather than blank off or change other items. The following kits (most with multiple issues as well) all share the same scale chassis and mechanicals:

67 GTX stock or 2in1 stock/ street machine

67 GTX Sox and Martin Super Stock drag

67 Coronet stock or 2in1 stock/ street machine

67 Coronet "Drag-on Lady" Super Stock drag

67 Charger

If the "extra" door panels have a more "molded" than flat look to them they're probably from the Charger- I think that's whats in the late GTX kit but am not 100%- seems that one or more of these kits also has an extra set of seats

Sometimes there is a certain cobination of features in a particular version that might be more appealing for a particular build- for example in the Revell 68-69 Charger series the Dick Landy '68 actually has a body with the '69 side markers molded in but no vinyl top texture so a good starting point for all the General Lee fans out there

The only time not reading the destruction sheet ever befuddled me was with a snap kit! :blink: It was soooo... simple once it was pointed out to me. :blink: Long story short- there ARE mounting tabs for the rear part of the chassis on the new AMT Impala NASCAR stock car kits, and the chassis SHOULDN'T just flop down when you pick the car up like mine was...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36800

Actually the power steering pump was driven off the rear of the generator (just like the model)on '55-'58? Chevy V8s :blink:

The 55 kit also wants you to put the oil filter in some kind of funny can on top of the motor when everybody knows it should be on the bottom :blink:

1955-chev-engine.jpg

I knew about the oil filter,but I honestly had never saw a photo of a '55 Chevy with a generator driven power steering pump. Thanx for that photo Chris! I learned something today!

I've got pretty much all the kits in this "family" at home but am away and can't check specifics but R-M commonly leaves extra parts on trees when for use in different versions of the same basic kit and seems to tend to add rather than blank off or change other items. The following kits (most with multiple issues as well) all share the same scale chassis and mechanicals:

67 GTX stock or 2in1 stock/ street machine

67 GTX Sox and Martin Super Stock drag

67 Coronet stock or 2in1 stock/ street machine

67 Coronet "Drag-on Lady" Super Stock drag

67 Charger

If the "extra" door panels have a more "molded" than flat look to them they're probably from the Charger- I think that's whats in the late GTX kit but am not 100%- seems that one or more of these kits also has an extra set of seats

Sometimes there is a certain cobination of features in a particular version that might be more appealing for a particular build- for example in the Revell 68-69 Charger series the Dick Landy '68 actually has a body with the '69 side markers molded in but no vinyl top texture so a good starting point for all the General Lee fans out there

i have a few of the 68-69 chargers in my stash (the 68 with the blue car on the box also has the same body as the dick landy and would work aswell for the general) but the door panels on those look more like the right ones for the GTX then like the extra

(ill shoot some pics tonight)

it almost looks like they belong in a canoe, the way the back end curves in

Reading the instruction sheet is something I always do.

I lay out each tree and look them over. I locate parts I'm not sure about.