Model Cars Magazine Forum

LA Dart Conversion / Confusion

Nitrozilla

A tip from an old vet (Nam 69 DMZ) I've built models since the 60's as a kid and camera shots were always tough. A little something I found you might try is hold a low power magnifier over the camera aperture. I use a little Kodak easy share but with the right magnifier over the lens it see's closer than with out the lens. Lets me get twice as close and get better shots.

Termite

Oh Boy, all kindsa fun stuff to reply to:

Horsepower, When yer right, yer right. Thanx for the info about the Titanium. I thought the newer TUBING they make the wheelies bar itself from was titanium, not that they used it for the spark showers. Did they use it in the olden days too? Seems like a pricey sparkler. :D

Dragracer, it'll probably cause a hissy fit with some purests out there, but the Jungle car is the Hawaiian with Jungle markings. Got the idea when I found out he switched to MOPAR engines in '72 or '73. This Charger is of course a '69, but you get the idea. I'll be posting it as soon as this is done. Chassis is box stock with some added goodies.

Termite, I'm Nam Era too, but, somebody had to protect the bases at home, so that was me and my pals. I was however, part of Operation Homecoming at March AFB. Seeing the physically and psychologically wounded, not to mention the drug addicted soldiers was heart-breaking. Might as well have been there. Concerning the camera, that's my Droid phone. I'll use a Sony H9 digital for the finished pics.

Alrighty group, got some decaling started. Using a combo of the Melanie Troxel set from Slixx and some custom stuff that's on the way. Enjoy all.

IMAG0069.jpgIMAG0070.jpgIMAG0068.jpgIMAG0071.jpg

looks great so far, especially the roof

between you and me, i dont think there is a place on a tribute car like this for sponsorship decals

this is about the men and women who made the sacrifices that gave us the freedom to race, not the companies that made the parts

just my 2 cents...and if thats all i can complain about you done good :D

looks great so far, especially the roof

between you and me, i dont think there is a place on a tribute car like this for sponsorship decals

this is about the men and women who made the sacrifices that gave us the freedom to race, not the companies that made the parts

just my 2 cents...and if thats all i can complain about you done good ;)

Hey!, he's right, the Dart looks great & doesn't need any stinkin' sponsers :lol:

Since I am not a closed minded person, I'm willing to listen to a debate on this and I will not make a decision until I've heard from as many people who care to, chime in on this. So, tell all of your friends to drop in and give their opinion.

As for myself, I understand the desire to keep it clean and not lose focus on the subject by cluttering it up with sponsorship badges that may be a distraction to the main subject. On the other tentacle, sponsors and parts makers are heavy contributors to Veteran's associations and charities.

My original concept was to only use decals that compliment the primary red, white and blue theme. Therefore, that's why there is a white and blue Cragar decal in the center of the red & white stripes.This also eliminates a lot of decals that would otherwise be used. Can we consider this as an alternative?

So let's make sure everyone does this in editorial fashion. Please state your preference and a solid reason why you feel that way. Even though I stated on my very first post of this thread, "Build for the build, not to everyone else's expectations of what's accurate or right", this is a matter of the heart and soul, not an issue of accuracy or build correctness.

Let the debate begin and, please, keep it within it's intent of doing what's right for the Vet's and keep your responses measured and civil.

Oorah !!

Edited by Batzilla

A tip from an old vet (Nam 69 DMZ) I've built models since the 60's as a kid and camera shots were always tough. A little something I found you might try is hold a low power magnifier over the camera aperture. I use a little Kodak easy share but with the right magnifier over the lens it see's closer than with out the lens. Lets me get twice as close and get better shots.

Termite

something I found that works great on phone cameras , small vid cams is these eye loups.

if you have a harbor freight around..even better ! .. they work fantastic.. I just blue tac them on and change loups for different distance shots ... can get in super close with sharp focus and a tripod. and still leave a hand free

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-loupe-set-98722.html

I'm diggin this build man. I have a brother who was in Nam. and I must say he's still struggling. So I understand the respect part of this build. And I feel you have covered that very well !! Yet I respect that this is your build and have to build to your taste. So, in short, why can't it be both, with the amount of patriotism you already have on it with just a taste of the sponsorship side too. I feel it is being done very respectfully !! Lookin forward to the finished product.

Batzilla, great build! As a disabled Vietnam Veteran based out of Cat Lo, thank you for your service! The demons can be hard to keep at bay. I still struggle from time to time. The idea of your build being a tribute to POW/MIA is very touching! It is very tasteful. As far as sponsors go, my opinion is sponsor badges (stickers) are fine. Place them low near the rocker panels in the stripes. Red/white/blue sponsor stickers would be a plus. I'm looking at some Slixx sponsor stickers right now. I see a peace sign hand held up, red/white/blue. STP, NHRA Nationals, IHRA, Jardine Headers, UDRA, Hardy Race Cars and VP Racing fuels on #NDCS3-7036 set. On set #NDCS1436 are numerous NHRA stickers, Flameout,UDRA, National Dragster, and Valvoline. Hope that helps! Mostly, do what you think is right! I just realized I'm sitting here in camo shorts. It never goes away. I'm looking forward to seeing this model completed! Aaron Dupont

YOU ALL ROCK !! Honestly, I was expecting a heated debate over this and instead, you all came through with shining (Red / White / Blue) colors.

There will be sponsorage and it will be RWB and it will be discreet. Besides, I gotta put a Gates decal on the blower belt. Wish I could find an all American lookin' Kieth Black logo. Found one with white and blue, but it's not right.

At any rate, going to take the night off here, been a busy day with the VA. Always trying to find something wrong with my aging carcass. lol They serve too. B)

See ya' tomorrow with an update. Hopefully my decals didn't decide to take a side trip to the Viet Nam Memorial on their way to me. If they did, that's okay too.

Eureka !! I got my decals and they work. Now just so you have the whole story, When the decals I made refused to lay down, fellow member DIYMIRAGE, my man, Eelco, stepped up and offered to print out my graphics file on his decal paper and it made all the difference in the world.

Because I'm a brat and because I still need to get my good camera up and running I'll just show the underbelly and rollcage until I get the good stuff tomorrow.

'Til then:

IMAG0072-1.jpgIMAG0073-1.jpg

No problem there DoubleD. It's a legit question. I was assigned to 22nd Security and on loan to Law Enforcement. Not that it matters, but it is a different MOS. My partner and I got a call to the Airmen's Lounge where there was a fight going on. In the process of breaking up the fight, my back got slammed against a wall pretty hard. Nobody ever thought to tell me that having my handcuff pouch in the dead center of my spine was a bad idea. I had normal back pain, but there was a bruise the size of a cantaloupe. I don't need a nite lite 'cuz after all of the peeks at the inside of my body over the last 35 years, I now glow in the dark.

I've been fighting back problems my entire life that flare up and incapacitate me for days at a time. I'm receiving disability from the Feds and a small stipend from the VA.

Hope that clears it up. If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me. :)

Thanx for the peeks John, Danno and all who have been following. Also Andy, nice link and cheap too !!

Not a promise here folks, but I have a good chance of completing this bad boy today, so I'm gonna get to it.

looking good

i just want to clarify that none of the decals seen on this build so far have been mine

and on top of that, i didnt do any of the design, i just provided the printing service

having said that, i am glad to be a part of this build

there is no way to properly express the gratitude we owe our fighting men and women but i sure think this is a good start