Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Sedan/Delivery

crazyjim

Here's some pics of my latest build. AMT '40 Ford Sedan/Delivery. I shot the body with decanted Rusto-leum Colorshift paint and then came back with HOK silver basecoat and candy purple on the side panels. I used an index card to try and get tricky.

100_3296.jpg

100_3298.jpg

100_3299.jpg

100_3293.jpg

100_3300.jpg

Edited by crazyjim

Thanks, Harry. It was quite a decision to try that paint job. The great talent we have on this forum is an inspiration for me to break new ground in painting and detailing my builds. heck, if it wasn't for MCM, I'd still be building like I used. The best part is that I'm still having fun building.

Hey Jim,

Man oh man oh man oh man I like this one a lot, your work is just really nice, and your skills are getting where I know you want them. One car at a time right? This just looks so good, color sets off the lines, I really love it when the paint job compliments the lines, that is what separates "art" from a painted model. Good job Jim.

Ok, here are my stupid questions though.....you put on the silver basecoat afterwards, at least that is what I thought it said. What did you put down as primer or basecoat for the colorshift? Is the colorshift enamel or lacquer and is it "hot" for the plastic? Thanks for answers Jim, man this is one sweet ride buddy!!

Mike

Hey - thank you very much for the comments.

Neal - it'll probably come along with me on Saturday.

Mike - I used Plast-I-Cote sandable grey primer after the body work; sanded; and then shoot 2 coats of Plast-I-Cote sandable black primer. When dry I wet sanded with 600 grit paper. Primers I shoot right from the rattle can. The Colorshift was decanted and sprayed through the airbrush (Paasche H series single action@ 25psi). I'm not sure what the Colorshift paint is. I always cover with Plast-I-Cote primers.

What you can't see in the pics is the headliner. I used some medical tape that has little squares all over it. The tape covers the inside of the roof and inside panels.

There's another S/D in my stash and when I build it I'll do something else - sand off the chrome trim and window trim and glue 1/2 round Evergreen to it. The top window trim would then go all the way to the back or maybe even wrap around the back. I'm thinking using the 1/2 round for some ribs on the roof too.

No thinning. I decanted through a cone shaped paper cup (like a snow cone cup) with a 1/4" of the tip cutoff into the glass paint jar. Waited a few minutes. Turned the compressor to 25psi and shot with a Paasche H series airbrush. You'll want to put the Colorshift over a black basecoat. In this case I used Plast-i-cote black primer.