Model Cars Magazine Forum

You have got to see this one, Very cool for Chevelle Fans.

Not at this time, but never say never...

I made this one using the original AMT 1971 Chevelle hood and a flat hood from an AMT 1970 Monte Carlo annual.

Thats the same way I made my last 69 Chevelle flat hood, only I used the 77 Monte Carlo hood, I combined both , And it turned out nice, All I had the to was cut out the bulges form the 69, Then cut the monte hood, I used just enough of the hood and vents to fill in the holes where I made the cuts on the chevelle hood, Other then alittle putty and primer, Thats all it took to make . I plan to make another one soon if they don't become available soon in resin. I also wish someone would make the proper taillights for the 69, And just sell the bezels and clear taillights so we dont have to shell out almost $10 for the stuff. I will hopefully be getting one of these 71's soon, Nice job on the hood, I just gave you the instructions on how to make the 69 hood. Hint Hint.

is that conversion a straight copy of the original '71 kit?

a couple of points where i see problems,

the fender extensions have a part that curves to meet the hood, i don't see that on the body

the grille looks a little off or weird too. the 1:1 grille does not go all the way down to the top of the bumper, there is a sloped piece that's part of the grille that goes in behind the top edge of the bumper. the grille pictured just to me looks like a modified '72 grille.

the turn signal bezels in the fender extensions look a little soft and smoothed over at the peak where they wrap around. again is this an issue from copying the original kit or?

the bumper itself seems a little blocky and hard edged as well.

i'd love to have a '71 Chevelle as my first car was a '72 that i changed the front to '71 parts because i liked it better.

Dave, it is a direct copy of the AMT 1971 annual. IMHO, the front end of the MPC 1971 Chevelle better captures the "look" of the 1:1. AMT missed it on the grille, but once plated and painted it doesn't look bad. The MPC 1971 grille surround is part of the bumper and headlight unit and comes with separate grille inserts.

seems like a standard Chevelle/Malibu dash and bench seat would be a natural and good sellers for both the 1/24 and 1/25 kits.

I would have to agree with you on this Dave, Me personally being a huge Mopar fan, Sounds out of sorts for me to say, But I have Always had a soft spot for the 68-72 Chevelles and Novas, Also the 75-79 Novas , My first car was a Carmine Red Metallic 79 Nova, It had a Red interior , And a 350-4 , 400 auto out of a 74 Buick LeSabre, Crazy putting a Buick engine in a Chevy, But That car was alot of fun to drive, It would be great to see more of this kind of mainstream stuff being made in resin, Every one loves Any SS Chevy, But most of the time the non SS cars were more common to see in the area I live, I cannot tell you how many Buicks I had seen when I was growing up in "Buick City" as they used to call it back the 80's , There is maybe just a few plants left now. The most fond memory I have is when I was able to tour the Buick engine plant when I was 15. I would love to see more of these types of conversion kits made, I can do alot of the stuff myself, But I'm just to lazy some days, Keep up the great work guys, I like what I'm seeing. I only wish these had plated bumpers.

GEEEZ! I WISH I FOUND THIS EARLIER.

I JUST BOUGHT A FEW '72 KITS & WAS GOING TO BUY THE CONVERSION KIT THAT DENCON MAKES.

ARE THE MARKER LIGHTS, HEADLIGHT BEZELS & GRILL SEPARATE PIECES?

IT LOOKS REAL NICE!!!!!

KENNY, ANY THOUGHTS OF DOING A '71 LTD/GALAXY 2D CONVERTIBLE?

The built OI '71 does look nice.

Are there differences in the dashboards between an SS and a Malibu or Chevelle? I'm wondering because if it's something like the gage package, those, or something that would look similar in 1/25 were usually available for all the cars in the line, so it wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to have- just not super-common in reality.

I do agree, though, a bench seat and the dash with the strip-style speedo would be a nice thing to see.

Charlie Larkin

GEEEZ! I WISH I FOUND THIS EARLIER.

I JUST BOUGHT A FEW '72 KITS & WAS GOING TO BUY THE CONVERSION KIT THAT DENCON MAKES.

ARE THE MARKER LIGHTS, HEADLIGHT BEZELS & GRILL SEPARATE PIECES?

IT LOOKS REAL NICE!!!!!

Marker lights molded into the body. Headlight bezels and grille/bumper are separate parts.